• Noit@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Wild that the government thought this needed to be a vote. Embarrassing that they then lost it, just for the chance to try and shunt some costs off their administration and into Labour’s. Now it’s just one more crack in the foundation of the party.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Justice minister Edward Argar said the government would try to amend the bill in the Lords to clarify when the body to provide compensation to infected blood victims would be delivered.

Justine Gordon-Smith, whose dad died after being given infected blood, told BBC Newsnight she was “stunned” by the result but was concerned what the government “might try to do to limit things now”.

In an attempt to speed up efforts to compensate victims, Dame Diana Johnson - who leads the All-Party Parliamentary group on Haemophilia and Contaminated Blood - put forward the amendment.

She told MPs that Sir Brian had already made clear his inquiry’s recommendations on compensation and that the government did not need to wait for his final conclusions before setting up a scheme.

The Kingston Upon Hull North MP also noted that victims of the Post Office Horizon scandal had been awarded compensation before the inquiry’s final report had been published, and argued the same should apply to those affected by infected blood.

The voting list showed Mr Chishti was joined by a number of former Tory ministers, including Sir Robert Buckland, Damian Green, Dame Andrea Jenkyns and Chloe Smith.

The original article contains 771 words, the summary contains 194 words. Saved 75%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!