Personally I don’t care about this since apple is adopting rcs next year. But its a great thing for people who want iMessage.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

If it’s that Beeper then it’s not just about imessage, but facebook messenger, whatsapp, instagram, telegram, viber and a few others too. Beeper supports all that, by using Matrix bridges.

• venusenvy47@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Interesting. I just checked and found the information. It sounds like they want to rebuild the whole app and just add one service at a time. They are starting with just iMessage.

https://www.beeper.com/faq#what-is-beeper

Edit: I wonder how long this will last. They aren’t using a Mac to log you into your iCloud account with this. They have found a workaround.

“This is now possible because the iMessage protocol and encryption have been reverse engineered by jjtech, a security researcher.”

Edit 2: I’m really curious about this. The researcher has some Python that can run anywhere and let you send iMessages. It seems like something the Apple would shutdown, but, on the other hand, I wouldn’t expect Beeper to introduce an app that might get disabled.

https://github.com/JJTech0130/pypush

• venusenvy47@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m confused about this article because I have Beeper, but they make this statement:

“Beeper Mini is a new app from the folks behind Beeper, a unified chatting and inbox app that brings together the best chat apps under one roof.”

I haven’t heard about a mini version.

• Apollo2323@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Its a new version they called Mini because it only supports iMessage natively. There is a research who reverse engineered how iMessage works that’s how they manage to make it work without an Apple account and just your phone number.

• hamsterkill@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Sounds like it’s something Apple could easily kill by changing something in the protocol that would require it to be re-reverse engineered.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I’m not entirely sure if iMessage still works right now for phones that ran out of support, but such a change would kill it for those phones too.