So ive been thinking about using godot or gdevelp but im not too sure if those are teh right ones for a beginner to use. im not sure why but i want to make a video game, i dont even have an ideas but i want to make one for some reason. once i get a better computer which will be in a few days hopefully i think i might use unity, maybe.

i could use suggestions, advice, tips, you can even share a story if you want to. ive made a few posts before and everyone says to download blender to make things with and then use godot becasue its open source and low end.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Not to be harsh, but you’ve asked this question a few times in different ways over the last few weeks. My suggestion and advice is, download Godot and find a tutorial and give it a try. You can’t find out whether you’ll enjoy something by reading about it, only by doing it.

• ericjmorey@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Go ahead and get started with Godot. Stop researching and asking questions about how to start. Don’t delay. There are a lot of beginner Godot resources, pick one and get started.

• CasualTee@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I second that. You can also go a fair way without coding much. So you can learn the engine as you learn programming.

Also, look at some example projects. There are plenty, like a vampire survivor like. Try to understand the structure and add some very small feature.

There are also many resources online to get started. Don’t hesitate to create many small projects where you only try out a concept or idea. Godot is very composable once you know your way around, this will make things easier to move your learnings from one project to the next.

• mwqer@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

i’ll play devil’s advocate and say: None of them. Programming languages are tools, and so treat them like one is better. A better question to ask is: what are you doing to need one? Then work out the characteristic of a tool you want. E.g: you want to make a game, lets say you want to use Unity, then learning C# would be the best answer. Or you want to start with godot, maybe because it’s friendly to you, then learning go would be the obvious choice. Just pick one that you rationalized is best, doesn’t matter if it’s faulty reasoning, then go all the way with it is the best approach here imo.

• Dogzilla@geddit.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If you’re looking to make a game, focus on game engines. There’s a bunch to choose from, but there’s 2 main ones: Unreal and Unity. Of the two, I’d say Unity is more beginner-friendly, with tons of resources and a huge community. You can use Unity to build anything from 2d sides scrollers on the web to full-blown networked FPS games running on consoles.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I started with BASIC because it was just so super simple and easy to understand. It was good enough to learn the flow and all the principals that apply to other languages even if when I got started the language itself wasn’t even relevant anymore.

• glad_cat@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago
    1. Your questions should be more specific. An engine in which programming language? I don’t know what you are learning, and you MUST tell us.
    2. I see that your history is filled with random questions. As a developer, you should learn how to use Google instead of posting here before.
    3. Try !learn_programming@programming.dev, you’ll have more results.
  • REdOG@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

When I learned python I did by building some protocols I had a solid understanding of in the twisted python framework and it was a nice way to learn about other fundamentals that the “learn to code” guides don’t really go over. I’d look for libraries that other projects are leaning on and start from there. Libraries will have solved the challenges that slow down a beginner. You can always go back and learn how those libraries do it well after you’ve mastered using the libraries. Often because you need a particular feature or behavior.

• Skyemou5@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Check out games from scratch on YouTube he covers tons of engines and software. A good place to start. Get an overview of what’s out there

• nottheengineer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

No idea about game development, but go is a language that’s designed to be easy to learn, so If you aren’t confident in programming already, godot is probably a good pick.