fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Usually I am all for any kind of data because trends tend to be indicative

But that is 2019 data. Before The Pandemic. And internet traffic is something that very much shifted as a result of people being locked in their own homes for weeks, if not months, at a time. It is a big chunk of a LOT of the tech layoffs that are currently happening globally and a large part of this particular topic.

To put it in context. xqc is (last I checked) the biggest streamer on the planet (and increasingly a deranged incel who just bitches about his ex-wife while also promoting hate and bigotry but…) and mostly went from disgraced esports nobody to the biggest streamer on twitch (and probably now kick) in 2020. Similarly, Ludwig (who seems to be a left leaning centrist) is very much on the “pokimane” track of getting big and similarly got big in 2020 and used that to become the de facto face of Youtube in 2021.

And I would go so far as to say the vast majority of the “O(100) concurrent” mid-tier streamers have similar stories. 2020 is what let them turn this into a full time job.