• dhork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

If Haley wins the ® nomination, then I predict that Joe Biden will disclose some unfortunate health issue that “just popped up recently”, and will force him out of the race. And then the Democrats will end up nominating… um… shoot, what was her name again?

• YoBuckStopsHere@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Trump will run third party so maybe not. Trump has to go all in to be President to pardon himself for all his felonies.

• mriguy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If Trump doesn’t win the Republican nomination, the Republicans lose. Trump will never accept losing the primary and will run as an independent. Once he peels off all the fascists and epsilon minus semi-morons, there aren’t enough “sane Republicans” left to do anything other than come in third.

I’m cautiously optimistic that after killing so much of his base with covid and pissing off suburban women, even united, the fascists, semi-morons and toadies don’t have enough to win unless their voter suppression efforts are wildly successful (which they might be).

• MegaUltraChicken@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I think the only way she has a shot is if Trump dies. There’s absolutely no way he drops out at any point and I don’t think there’s a mechanism to remove him from being a candidate before the election. Secretary’s of state are really hesitant about removing him via 14th amendment. He’s going to bring in 20-30 percent of the electorate no matter what.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You’re forgetting the abortion issue, which is a massive voting booster for Democrats who run on the pro-choice platform.

Even if Haley came out and said she supports bodily autonomy, she still has the baggage of being a Republican and a woman, the party historically against female bodily autonomy and women in positions of power. Ultimately, she’d only wind up losing the fundigelicals to Trump, DeSantis, or Vivek.

She doesn’t have a shot, if Biden can lean into expanding abortion access next year.