• KijanaBarubaru@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Maps. Gives me accurate directions,live traffic data and anything else I need on the road e.g restaurants,hotels,petrol stations etc.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I’ve just recently started contributing to OSM like a madman. That shit is incredible and exciting.

• bzxt@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Same, downloaded StreetComplete few days ago and it’s really fun to solve quests and map things all at once :)

• kugel7c@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep but honestly live traffic and occupancy for buildings, as well as my own location history for me personally is just too useful. I can find out where I was for essentially any point in time since ~2016 data that would’ve been lost to me several times if I were to have kept the data myself.

• paddytokey@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Seriously it has sort of changed the world. I know I’m just handing all my location data to Google but the way it works and the features it offers are amazing and I cannot imagine a world anymore in which I might get lost if I just take a wrong turn somewhere. That combined with the free messaging has made “finding” anything location related a non issue. I can send people a location to meet, I can look up an address someone gave me, I can send my spouse my live location while I’m on my way home to let her know how far I’m out, I can find a hardware store in a town I’ve never been to because I need to tape to fix my bag or whatever, people write helpful comments about where to park or whatever. Maps will suggest different routes for pedestrians, cyclists, drivers or find you a public transportation route if you wish, including (usually) the exact time your train or bus or whatever leaves. It’s fantastic

• bzxt@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Look into OpenStreetMaps site for desktop PCs, and pick one of many android apps for the mobile phones that use OSM (i prefer osmAnd, it has a free premium version on F-droid software store) and you won’t be needing to send all your location data to Google ever again.

• techgearwhips@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I tried OSM on F-Droid a few months back and it was terrible. It could never find any addresses that I input. Magic Earth is much better. And uses the same backend I believe.