Hey guys, I’m new to self-hosting; I’m trying to set up cloud storage to store pics and other content. However, I’m unsure whether to use my old computer, Buy NAS or ResberryPie to set up a home server.

Also, what is the best privacy-friendly OS to use with the home server?

Lastly, do’s and don’ts.

Any help would be appreciated (:

• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

That suxs … but I was thinking 500~700 moneys. And spending some time to look/wait for a good deal. Still I think a Ryzen 3 or 5 (from 22xx onward) is a better investment especially at the beginning when you are perhaps still figuring out what to do with your home lab (and even basic things like not having your HDDs over USB lane). But you have the right idea - opportunities like those 10$ PCs is what I was talking about.

If I assume RPi 4 or 5 are at about 100 moneys (+ a decent case + maybe with an m.2 hat) - I was just trying to say that a used PC at that price offers much more. RPis are great tho, I’m glad they exist.

• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

My RPi v1.0 (doesn’t even have the mounting holes) is piholing/sinkholing for my parents for about 10 years now.

It’s getting replaced by two servers soon-ish (main and backup - also as a second location for my servers), but I might just keep it running as a secondary device. Bcs by now it’s tradition.

Also I never got around to getting it a case so it’s just dangling by the ethernet cable all this time.