• exohuman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s looked at fondly by these people because few can afford that lifestyle anymore. It’s almost a status symbol of sorts in a weird way.

• sunbrrnslapper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have a house husband and it is AWESOME. He gets a pretty sweet deal too. If this is something you can do (either spouse staying at home), I recommend trying it out.

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s a difference between that and the type of women who are all over social media saying things like “men are allowed to hit their wives” and “women aren’t allowed to say no when a man asks for sex”

• darth_helmet@sh.itjust.works
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It isn’t being a “trad wife” that’s problematic, what sucks is growing up in a subculture where you’re repeatedly told what your expected role is based on your arrangement of DNA.

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Being a stay at home parent/homemaker is fine. Trad wives are a toxic subculture though. It’s not the same as just being a homemaker

• YoBuckStopsHere@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

That is almost an insulting fad that I didn’t know Conservative women were into. They do understand women of that era were regularly abused and assaulted, right?

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Clearly women have a choice as long as it conforms and benefits the stablished subjective rules imposed by Feminism ™

• Dr. Wesker@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Individual women doing what those individual women want to do, in a society where they’re free not to do that that thing, is harmful to women’s rights.

Okay. Yeah, okay.

EDIT: Today I realized people are still threatened by women exercising their rights. Y’all just brand it differently, when it offends your tastes.

• delial@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“No man can tell you how to live! Live your life how you want to!”

later…

“No! Not like that!”

There have always been women that didn’t mind being housewives, and I would certainly love to be a househusband. These people are doing a whole 50’s nostalgia thing, which I think is stupid, but I think a lot people and things are stupid, so whatever. You do you.

• gramathy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The difference arises when they try to tell other people this is their best choice and not doing it their way is “bad”

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Isn’t that what has been done all these years? And do tell, what people must choose and do to conform to you, plz.

• gramathy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No? Nobody’s said you can’t be a stay at home wife/mother/scrapbooking expert. It might be difficult to live on a single income, so there are practical concerns, but that’s the type of decision you make with your partner.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Not the point. You were on your way of telling us how is bad for people to choose whatever you don’t like while at the same time advocating no one should tell anyone what to do .

So which one is it?