link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

In Germany, you pay your taxes per 100 cc of displacement and emisssions. It has always been that way, but it changes very little in your overall cost calculation. I drive an older VW Golf with a 1.4 petrol engine. That costs 94 € per year in taxes. Considering insurance, running costs and purchase of the vehicle, that’s almost nothing.

What I mean is: Having a big engine isn’t a lot more expensive over here. The tax laws are not based on fuel economy or vehicle weight or size. I could have a car with a 3 Liter engine that weighs twice as much as my Golf, and I wouldn’t care if I wanted that fabulous SUV experience.

• afrom@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

that weighs twice as much as my Golf, and I wouldn’t care if I wanted that fabulous SUV experience.

Pls don’t exagerate …your Golf is around 1.5 tons and a mid-range SUV will be 1.7-1.8t max. Now for example VW Tiguan or Seat Ateca are fabulous? Those are mid-range cars, just like your Golf but SUVs

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

My Golf is a tad below 1.2 tons, but that’s beside my point.

The thing about those “mid-range” SUVs is that they are worse in every measurable aspect when it comes to environmental impact. A couple months ago, I compared a VW Golf with a VW Tiguan, both with the same engine. The Tiguan is heavier, uses more fuel and is bigger (space it takes in the city) than the Golf. Both have the same engine, both accommodate 4-5 people and get you to your destination dry and warm.

The “compact” SUV is worse off in every objective category, and I’m not even getting into manufacturing CO2 or things like pedestrian safety. Off-road vehicles have their practical uses. SUVs don’t, for the vast majority of owners.

• afrom@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Again, I’m not advocating for SUVs, I don’t even like them, I’m advocating for the ordinary people which I belong to, I don’t want us te get ripped off by the govts, that’s it.

• afrom@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

The displacement cc and emissions are main factors but as I know what also affects it’s certain ranges of year of construnction.

The tax laws are not based on fuel economy or vehicle weight or size

Now the emissions are for sure affected by the weight of the vehicle and also by aerodynamics therefore SUVs should be higher in tax but that’s only logic so not sure if and how much.

What I mean is: Having a big engine isn’t a lot more expensive over here.

So my top example, the 4L 600hp 620€ tax, isn’t much higher then your example, the 1.4L (I would guess around 100hp) 90€ tax? Are you serious about that?