Artemis was a promising mobile app for Kbin, with a dedicated community, a rapid pace of development, and a high level of polish. Then, the developer disappeared.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

In an ironic twist of fate, Artemis was stopped in its tracks because the source code hasn’t been released

Oh no, nobody could have seen this coming… 🙄 And people kept downvoting me when I scoff at a release of closed source Lemmy/Mastodon/… clients.

• Sean Tilley@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

For all intents and purposes, the dev did state their intentions on releasing the code “when it’s ready”, and was super active in working on it. Not releasing, and relying on one server running a specific upstream branch were definitely mistakes, 100%. But, I think the dev legitimately believed they would hit that target, which was a prerequisite for releasing.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I never understood the “when it’s ready” excuse. It’s only not ready when it contains stolen code, otherwise as unstable as the application may be, the code is ready for release.

• QuazarOmega@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

So much this! If people are worried about contributions arriving before things are cleaned, then just put a huge ass headline on the README saying:

CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING PULL REQUESTS

pls and thank you

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Kbin didn’t haven’t an API so they were using screen scrapers. I assumed they were waiting for a proper API rollout. But who knows now.

• Sean Tilley@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah, they apparently used scrapers for a while, but it’s obviously not a very performant way to do things. Artemis Camp was launched with an upstream branch that introduced API work, and the app was adjusted to use that as a playground.

• Nato Boram@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Right? Like, my app is definitely not ready yet its source code is available for all to see. And since I’m currently inactive, you could even fork it and get a bigger following than me if you wanted to.

These people just think too highly of themselves.