Hey everyone,

I’m currently using immich for my omagensercer and I love it very much. Now I wanted to revive an old tablet as a digital picture frame and I’m not sure how to best do this.

I want to frame to run a certain album on Immich in a (random) loop. My first idea was to use Immich’s slideshow Features, yet those switch Images way too fast and I have found no way to customize the interval.

Another way would be to run the slideshow locally but I didn’t find a way to Auto-Download images to a device when someone adds an imagemto an album.

So: how would you do this? Has anyone already done it?

Looking forward to your input :)

• LufyCZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’d probably suggest raising an issue on the Immich github as a feature request. You said that there’s already a slideshow feature present, just without a customizable interval, should be easy (even if low priority probably) for the Immich guys to add.

• Andi@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

If the old tablet is Android, Fotoo is perfect. Yes it costs, but one off fee and worth it. Can pull from so many different sources.

Personally, I still use Google Photos. Both my wife and I have us, the kids and pets all autotagged into an album for all the pictures taken on our phones and Fotoo randomly shows these on the Nexus 7 tablet I have taped into a wooden frame.

• cybersandwich@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

So I’ve been working on a setup myself. I actually haven’t considered immich but I should. I was just going to do a simple js based webpage local server that auto boots chromium into kiosk mode and randomly switches pictures. I actually had it set up so it weights new photos more heavily so it shows new additions more frequently.

The way I got new photos in was a nextcloud webdav mount. That way my wife and I can just add photos to a folder from our phones and they show up on the frame. I saw a guide online on how to do that with Google Drive too.

So all that to say, that might be an option for you to get photos to a folder. Then maybe point immich to that folder as a source.

• Morethanevil@lemmy.fedifriends.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Digital frames are cool at the beginning, but you will soon look at it as much as at normal frames.

Btt:

If you only want to have slideshow for one album, download it and use a gallery app for this, sure new pictures are not included automatically, that is the only downside. You could use a foldersync app for this. Push new pictures from the mobile phone to your server and download them on the tablet

• PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’ve had a tablet acting as a digital picture frame for a long time now and I always like to stop by and see pictures of our travels and stuff. For us at least it’s still cool. When it fails I’ll get another one.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Yep.

I’m surprised how much I look at ours. It’s changed how we take photos.

Now we’re more intentional to try to document trips and events more explicitly and clearly. The photo serves as a memory-reminder.

If you’re younger, no one probably told you that you will forget stuff. Not in a bad way, just that seeing a pic from an event will remind you of other memories that you hadn’t thought about in forever. It’s like the memories are stale and a random pic refreshes them.

Mine turns on at 7am and off at 10 pm, rotates through photos randomly. I can send pics to it through wifi of Bluetooth (real convenient for phones).

• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Digital frames are cool at the beginning, but you will soon look at it as much as at normal frames.

I disagree. We’ve had several frames for years and love looking at them, seeing new photos get added by family, and be reminded of our fondest memories.

Personally, I find that larger, wall mounted frames are much more enjoyable to look at compared to small, tabletop ones.