So in the spirit of this community and not just to focus on the Reddit… issues… I thought it might be nice to get a topical conversation going in here.

Basically, what open source projects are you currently working on or are you heavily involved with?

I think it would be nice to see what projects people have on the go, get some publicity out there and otherwise talk about stuff that we should be discussing here.

• catacomb@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I contribute to Umbraco every so often because we use it at work and think they should get some help because it’s been really useful for us. The community is very friendly and the devs are appreciative of good quality pull requests.

Some projects are kind of underwhelming. You can watch your PR you spent multiple nights on go completely unnoticed, without even a “thanks, we’re getting around to checking this.” I don’t mind when it’s some guy with a hobby project but I’m talking about projects run by companies.

I might look at Lemmy soon. I’ve been looking to help with something I actually have some personal stake in. It’s hard to put effort in when you don’t use it.

• fuzzzerd@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Umbraco is a fantastic open source project, as well as a great example of how open source can support a profitable company as well, through support, training, and certification programs.

I don’t use it as much these days, as its not part of my day job, and for my hobby projects I’m using static site generators, I appreciate what Umbraco has, and how they do it. It really is great software, for users and developers.

• catacomb@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It set my expectations a little too high I’d say! I really appreciate how they turned it into a profitable product too and it shows they have commitment to service when most of their secret sauce can be used by anyone.

I think they now have a headless version called Heartcore but, as far as I know, it’s a proprietary SaaS solution. Shame, that might have been of interest to you otherwise. I also use static site generators personally, it’s less to worry about.