For my first run, I focused largely on engaging the roleplay elements and didn’t worry too much about optimization.

For my tactician run, I’m attempting to utilize about as much OP shenanigans in my party as possible, and I’m having a great time with it so far. What are your favorite OP builds to actually play?

Bonus points if they’re viable all the way through the game without respec-ing.

My party:

Smiter: Paladin 5 / Warlock 7

Progression: P2 -> W5 -> P5 -> W7
Starting stats: 16, 10, 14, 8, 10, 16
Feats: PAM/GWM/Cha+2, Cha+2
Equipment: 2H weapon, best heavy armor, anything that grants advantage
Notes: Smite with warlock slots. Subclasses don’t matter much, but choose Pact of the Blade (extra attack stacks with Paladin’s).
Alternates: P5/W5/F2 for action surge.

Thrower: Berserker 6 / Thief 3 / Champion 3

Progression: B5 -> Ro3 -> F3 -> B6
Starting stats: 17, 14, 16, 8, 10, 8
Feats: Tavern Brawler (Str+1)
Equipment: Sword-and-board, best medium armor, throwing bonuses
Notes: Throw everything and everyone. Keep a few nice magic 2H weapons for bonus throws.
Alternates: B6/R4/F2 or B8/R4 for additional feats.

Sniper: Assassin 3 / Gloomstalker 5 / Champion 4

Progression: Ro3 -> Ra5 -> F4
Starting stats: 14, 16, 16, 8, 12, 8
Feats: Sharpshooter, Dex+2
Equipment: Dual hand crossbows, best light armor (until later…), anything sneak- or surprise-related Notes: If surprising a group, drink a haste potion and end the encounter solo.
Alternates: Any combination of A3/G5/F2 or A3/G3/F5 seems viable.

Bear: Moon Druid 12

Starting stats: 14, 10, 17, 8, 16, 8
Feats: Tavern Brawler (Con+1), Warcaster, Wis+2/Resilient (Con+1)
Notes: Be a bear. Enough said.
Alternates: D7/C5–cast Spirit Guardians before assuming bear form.

• Whirling_Ashandarei@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Damn, some super fun stuff! I feel OP just by being a pally and having some understanding of dnd on regular, but I’m planning on tactician next along with the harder mode after that. Just need cross platform so I can play with some of my PC friends (and an auto organization of items for the wheels on controller, it’s madness to try and organize it by conventional means).

• owenfromcanada@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, smites in general just feel awesome, even when not optimized. I actually did use something like the paladin/warlock build for Wyll on my first playthrough, seemed consistent with his character.

I’ve heard the game works well with a controller, but I can’t imagine not having a mouse. For what it’s worth, on PC, there are options to auto-sort your inventory, so hopefully there’s something in the works for console if it’s not out already). Here’s hoping they eventually implement cross-platform!

• Whirling_Ashandarei@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Oh man, maybe I’ve missed auto sort then, I’ll check. I also haven’t played since the big update recently, been busy. Gonna hop on tonight or tomorrow tho.

Also, I did make Astarion gloomstalker 7 / rogue 3 so far and that’s been super effective.

• pyrflie@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Paladin 2/Swords Bard 8/Tempest Cleric 2

It’s like giving a nuclear arsenal to a toddler. This is my goto Minty build.

There are only three enemies in the game that can’t be oneshot by this build, but only cause they just need the second dose.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Paladin and cleric are really strong in act 2 because almost everything you fight is vulnerable to radiant damage.