• edric@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I just watched The Creator yesterday and they had a similar tech where you could temporarily transfer the consciousness of a dead person to a robot to talk to them for less than a minute.

• finthechat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That scene reminded me a little of the scene in the DND movie where they reanimate a corpse and are allowed to ask it only X number of questions. The concept was played off in a comedic manner in that movie, though it was kinda dark in The Creator.

• Poringo@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That scene freaked me out, it’s so horrible yet so casual for the ones that wanted the information from the dead guy.

That movie is awesome, I wish I could have watched it at the movies.

• stevedidWHAT@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Meh, might watch it if it becomes available on one of my streaming apps.

How many times can we do “jail, but death isn’t a way out” realistically?

• designatedhacker@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

In Pandora’s Star they had this. Also unless you were just vaporized they could dig the memory hardware out of your head. Then they could restore everything up to the last second. The police would get the relevant death parts to look for the murderer. You would remember everything up to turning down the dark alley then waking up in a clone later.

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Great production design. A simple concept like a police procedural (but with the ability to restore from death) is familiar, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. At this point it’s practically an entire genre trope of its own, like “aging criminal gets called in for one last job” or “extreme sports enthusiast is called upon to fight criminals.” The audience already knows the layout, so it’s an opportunity for the execution to shine, if it’s done well.

• Jaded@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I enjoy it since there’s the aspect of interviewing the victim themselves, as well as a constant sense of danger since the killer needs to obviously finish the job and fast. It becomes a bit of a race.

Altered carbon and Hyperion by Dan Simmons come to mind as having the concept.

• SquiffSquiff@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Not a new idea. This was also done in ‘Motherland: Fort Salem’ although more from an occult than a sci fi perspective.

Black Mirror: “Be Right Back" also did sci fi reanimating the dead

Oh, and ‘Source Code’ 2011:

U.S. Army Captain Colter Stevens… …is sent into an eight-minute digital recreation of a real-life train explosion, tasked with determining the identity of the terrorist who bombed it