• Moohamin12@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The cost of cars in this country, you can be sure those guys don’t get poor.

• Brkdncr@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The cost to drive on the road is probably about the same as the cost to buy one.

About 10 years ago a Chevy Malibu had a sticker price of $120k USD, which included registration for 10 years.

• hansl@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

In case you’re serious; in most places in the world, cars are a luxury and taxed as such. In island nation in particular, imports are also very expensive in general and import taxes are most of their revenues.

TLDR: tax the rich, poor don’t need cars in sane cities.

• hansl@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

A lot of island nations have extreme import taxes on cars. See: every Caribbean island.

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

developing countries always have the highest taxes. i’m not aware of a single developing country that has cheap cars…

• Brkdncr@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Because it’s a small island country and there’s no need for cars. Public transit there is intense. Automated light rail between communities connect to subways that connect to everything. Their buses are great too.

• Squeak@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

They want to limit the number of cars in use in the country. I believe they limit it to around 1M. The price of the tax actually increases/decreases depending on demand to keep the total number around 1M.

• BastingChemina@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I got close to an accident once, I was driving a rental and the other cat was also a rental, same model, same company, not the same color though.

I imagine it would have been an interesting phone call to the rental company!

• irkli@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Of course they did. And in what appears to be a parking lot; precious.

I attended Car Week in Monterey CA in 2009 I think, some huge ass car event for the millionaire set. Lots of great cars there (and many great people; I was in that years LeMons Rally) but you see too much shit like this.

A couple of us Lemons folk watched a rich couple in one of those generic supercar things do a 9000 point turn in a McDonalds parking lot, manual transmission of course, so they’re slipping the clutch like crazy because they have absolutely no fkn idea how to drive it.

Those are not good cars. This isn’t the 1960s any more. The engineers and drivers that made those famous, for good reason, are all long dead, the businesses now run by their kids to extract cash from fools. They’re playthings for the rich whose main feature is that you can’t afford them.

• june@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Also the street sign showing that it’s a street.

That said, first glance made my American ass think it was a parking lot too.

• LufyCZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nah, the cars are still pretty cool from the engineering side. Not disagreeing with the rest though

• irkli@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Oh I realize that. They’re not without engineering virtue or history ! (Wasted on most owners of them…)

But they’re also snobby status symbols and toys for the rich. And “fast car” is so 1970s… Expensive toys for the rich are an open target for ridicule for me, lol. YMMV!

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

bro can’t even:

1. spell LeMans
        2. has no clue how carbon and triple plated clutch works,
        3. and appreciate the fact that super cars have terrible turning radius…

probably doesn’t know shit about cars making a stupid dumb statement like that. there are so many modern analog cars that have not only more soul, but outperform any older cars by every single metric in terms of reliability, engineering, safety, comfort etc. Case in point : LFA, Pagani Zonda, 911 GT3 RS, Nissan GTR and MANY MANY more.

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

you’re phrasing it as if it’s common knowledge and everybody should know some shitty local race from the other side of the pond.

you could probably tell judging by the tone he’s probably one of those insufferable boomer right? and you know i’m right, how can anyone claim that 1960s cars are better than what car manufacturers have put out in the past 20-30 years? If he’s talking from the point of nostalgia it’s OK, we all love classic cars. But to dismiss modern cars because apparently people that built them died is just stupid.

• irkli@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Lol of course not! A fkn shitbox 100k mile 15cyr old civic out handles on stock trim pretty much every decked out 60s streetsble car. More HP/cu in. Etc.

You’re ANOTHER one of those binary car guys (always guys, same as he car boomers, waxing fkn poetic about past 10 mpg glory).

It’s not a binary choice. Chill.

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

i’m not the binary guy here. i love all cars hey? I do believe an old ass Honda Fit modded in the garage gives you more satisfaction than owning a supercar. there i said it.

• Reliant1087@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Is there something like Cars for Dummies? All of this sounds really cool but I’ve no idea what any of it means.

• irkli@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Sorry, 24 hours of lemons and the source of the LeMons puns, is a bunch of car folk truly interested in cars we can actually drive, race, rally, wrench. And make fun of themselves as much as the snobby stuff.

Everything kinda looks like a joke but 24 hour endurance racing is hard!

The Rally (different from the races) and both fun and hard. Easy or as hard as you like.

I’ve done both. Great people too. Not a box of dicks either, more women there then most any car shit I’ve done. Queer friendly as car stuff gets too.

At the track crews are often mutually supportive. Yeah it’s great.

Cars are democratic -+ we can all own one. There’s amazing engineering in high end cars. Duh. Lovely to look at. Get arrested when you swipe parts from! Lol jk.

But making a 5 or 25 year old car do well on a track is loads of fun!

• irkli@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Sort of. You really need a team, 3 or 5 people. Takes a year to get a car and make it ready. Needs a roll cage. Someone needs to weld or be rich, lol. Tools, fuel. Lodging and transport. 5 grand last time we budgeted but we only raced once, so discount my advice that much.

But go on their forum, lurk, and consider volunteering on a team! That would be the best way.

Racing meaning the whole schtick, prep, build, transport, driving! pits, it’s unbelievable fun. Do it!

• Reliant1087@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I’m going to at least go to a track nearby and watch people do this and maybe talk to them and see if anything clicks for me.

• irkli@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh one of those online car snobs. Boring. Mister know it all, check out

https://24hoursoflemons.com/

They/we LOVE to ridicule car snobs.

It is properly spelled LeMons. To make fun of you’re revered other-spelling.

Come on, sense of humor?

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

bro can’t even spell LeMans, and has no clue how carbon and triple plated clutch works, and the fact that super cars have terrible turning circle, but is somehow critiquing about how modern cars suck?

• Ajen@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You’ve really never heard of LeMons? If he races in LeMons then he’s probably also a decent mechanic and probably knows a lot more about cars than you do. Just sayin…

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

also, a decent mechanic would have known that a supercar equipped with a manual will most likely come with heavy duty clutches that are a fucking bitch to drive at low speed.

• irkli@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

…and the nitwits who buy them ought to know how to drive them, no?

I don’t get it – why are so many here sooo defensive about a rich toy thing you’ll never own? And if you do own one, so what? Sheesh it’s just metal, not your identity.

• dukeGR4@monyet.cc
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

I don’t get it – why are so many here sooo defensive about a rich toy thing you’ll never own? And if you do own one, so what? Sheesh it’s just metal, not your identity.

Did you just try to make 2 assumptions and hopefully 1 of them applies to me, and then make a projection assuming that one of the assumption is correct…? wat?

too bad, the answer is neither, i’m JDM all the way, they’re not supercars, they’re easy to drive when you don’t put in a carbon clutch lol…

let’s keep this civil and save the ad-hominem insults, and discuss this like an adult. are we all capable of being an adult? i hope so?

…and the nitwits who buy them ought to know how to drive them, no?

Yea, but a non-car enthusiast that does not know how to drive a manual will likely not purchase a manual supercar.

The clutch are designed like that. Cars with heavy duty clutches inherently struggle at low speeds, that combined with super light flywheel.

You should watch Jay Leno or Harry’s Garage, they review older supercars from time to time. they don’t look like they’re nice to handle around town either. Jeremy Clarkson has a video about the Countach too, you should watch it. I hope you would come to the conclusion that supercars are not exactly the nicest cars to drive…

I note that you run some kind of a blog with old automobiles. i suggest that you keep your mind open, be open to ideas and listen to what other people have to say and not bash other people for the sake of bashing it. You would think we left this kind of mentality at Reddit but here we are. I wish you all the best and hope you drop this immature mentality. You’re old, you know what to do. Make the world a better place and not make it worse.

• Zatore@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hate to see a nice car damaged like that, but its incredibly satisfying to think about how some rich guy lost a shit load of money because of something stupid

• june@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t really care when a rich person makes expensive mistake. Like at all. They’ll be fine and likely won’t have to change a damn thing about their life after fucking up like this.

• mysoulishome@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Yellow Lamborghini

Yellow top missing

Yeah, yeah

That shit look like a toupée

I get what you get in ten years, in two days

• gamer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is like when two girls show up to the party wearing the same dress in a sitcom