Hi, I’ve got an old netbook from Samsung that has an old Intel Atom CPU (Intel Atom N455 1.66 GHz). I installed Arch on it and am now thinking of a suitable window manager. I tried Hyprland (kinda expecting it to not work really) whick didn’t start at all. Before I had Debian with Gnome, which technically worked, but everything was extremely slow.

I’ve used Gnome for a long time, but I know that there are a lot of other window managers out there. I would like to have one that avoids graphical gimmickry in order to be fast. (I like some nice little graphical details, but only if it’s still running buttery smooth).

If you have some tips that would be very nice!

EDIT: thank you for all the recommendations I’ll try out a few!

• Bipta
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Xfce is the best bang for your buck. Lxde isn’t much lighter and I never enjoyed using it. I think Lxqt is somewhere between them.

• Josh
      link
      fedilink
      45 months ago

I second xfce. Stable, lightweight, easy to use, and modern (enough).

• S410
    link
    fedilink
    165 months ago

Almost everything that’s not Gnome can be considered lightweight, to be honest.

• edric
      link
      fedilink
      75 months ago

+1 for openbox. It’s fast and lightweight.

• @Cwilliams@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

Since Wayland is lighter than X.org, LabWC could be another option. It is not fully compatable with Openbox, but most Openbox configs work on LabWC

• @AlolanYoda@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

I liked messing around with openbox but I’m very aesthetically challenged so I never managed to make it look good. Any tips?

• Handles
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 months ago

A bit late to the party, but especially for an older machine I’ll take Openbox any day. I still have some low range 2015 laptops running just fine where something like KDE would choke them up completely.

• bbbhltz
    link
    fedilink
    55 months ago

Just a window manager? Not a DE?

Under X11 there is Openbox, bspwm, herbstluftwm, dwm, i3, Awesome, Ratpoison, spectrwm, Qtile, …

Under Wayland: Weston, LabWC, Wayfire, Sway, River, Cagebreak, dwl, …

I keep things pretty dull and use Openbox + LXQt. It is a stacking WM that is stable, and LXQt is snappy.

If you are looking for a light DE LXQt is very light, Plasma is lighter than it used to be, but it also has loads of features. Xfce has more options for configuration than LXQt and I think it isn’t quite ready for Wayland.

Maybe Sway would be up your alley?

(Note to self: check https://arewewaylandyet.com)

• bruhduh
    link
    fedilink
    45 months ago

Icewm, antix linux uses it and whole system on startup uses ~200mb ram

• @rustydrd@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    45 months ago

Used to have an Eee PC running CrunchBang (Debian + Openbox). Really lightweight and simple (some potential for customization), and it was enough to carry me all the way through university.

• RBG
    link
    35 months ago

On my old asus eeepc I used to have arch with i3 as a tilling window manager for a while. It was taking a bit to get used to but once I worked it out and configured it how I liked it, it was fantastic. Used it for several years until I had to write my thesis and needed something stable for my operating system.

• callyral [he/they]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    35 months ago

for lightweight, i would recommend LXQt (qt) or LXDE (gtk). XFCE also seems pretty nice.

also, you could check out i3 and bspwm if you a tiling window manager.

i would’ve recommended sway, but it sounds like you didn’t have a very nice experience with hyprland, and that could be because it uses wayland.

• fernandu00
    link
    fedilink
    25 months ago

I have the exact same netbook and specs and I installed fedora lxde a couple months ago just to see how it would go and…it’s pretty decent performance if you use it just to browse the web or text editing… Installed vscodium and it got laggy as hell though … Had to use geany instead

• Presi300
    link
    fedilink
    English
    25 months ago

Try qtile, it’s got great documentation and is relatively easy to configure, as it’s configuration is done in python.