• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

God you’re a dumbass, and know fuck-all about science. People are judged on their credentials, which guess what, includes their published research. You’re actual peer-reviewed research is part of your credentials.

And you just keep waxing philosophical, because you have nothing to actually go on. You have no credentials. No peer-reviewed papers, no actual scientific experience. you’re just a schmuck.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

There’s that science fundamentalism again, and the piss-poor reading comprehension. Credentials only have value in that they imply adherence to good practice. Bad practice by a Nobel Laureate is worth less than good practice by some no name. You fundamentalists are preventing science into a religious cult of personality.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Bad practice by a Nobel Laureate is worth less than good practice by some no name

And peer-reviewed papers will reflect that dumbass. You keep accusing me of bad reading comprehension, when you’ve shown it time and timer again.

And if you feel so strongly about this why don’t you enter the sciences and actually try to make a change?

Go ahead and write that grant application about how you’ll disprove the very existence of gravity. Go ahead, I’ll wait and see how well that gets funded.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

And peer-reviewed papers will reflect that dumbass.

Yes, for that paper. Past work is not evidence for future work.

I see the problem. When I say “science” I mean science.

When you say “science,” you mean academia. I agree with most of your statements as they apply to academia. Academia is not science.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

You know companies that pursue scientific pursuits outside of academia still publish their work. They also tend to hire people with masters and doctorates from well-regarded academic institutions.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Call it the Game, call it the science Meta, call it politics in the sciences, whatever you like. It’s an extension of the same fundamentalist principles. Whatever it is, isn’t science itself.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Whatever it is, isn’t science itself

But it is. More science than you’ve ever done it seems since you think one data point with no controls is somehow scientific.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

That’s asinine. The bureaucracy and politics surrounding the practice of science is explicitly not science itself. It is crucial to a career in in modern science sure, but it is not itself science.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    9 months ago

Peer-review is an incredibly important part of science, one of the most important in fact. So go ahead with your non-peer reviewed, no control “science”, and leave the real science to us scientists.