• Plume (She/Her)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It feels so good to see countries not tolerating the far right. As a French, they’re basically everywhere now, everyone on talks like the Far Right on TV, now. My country has gotten so complacent with it…

I hope Germany keeps doing this and more act accordingly.

• valgarf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I fear your optimism ist unwarranted. The far right is attracting more and more voters here.

The ones arrested are not the far right you see on TV. They are conspiracy nuts who want to return to the time Germany had an emperor. They planned a revolution and hoarded weapons.

Probably wanted to regain the old empire’s territory as well, especially the regions belonging to France now…

• Intelligence_Gap@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Have you seen American news? Were on the fast track to electing a guy who lead a coup and said he wanted to be a dictator

• valgarf
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I follow US news a little. You seem to be much further along on your way to abolish democracy. But to be fair, the “winner takes it all” voting mechanism and resulting two party system really helps in dividing a country.

Also “hoarding weapons” seems to be an acceptable pasttime in the US.

• ChiwaWithMujicanoHat@mujico.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

All extremist sides are just everywhere because extremism tends to be the best way for populists to gather votes and attention. Democracy is completely useless when the population is uneducated and cannot choose what’s best for themselves in the long, and even in the short term.

Here in Mexico things are getting wilder every year, people choose influencers and tv/sports stars just because they are famous, the president from 2012-2018 was chosen by a big percent of the population just because he was handsome lol

But now the best selling point is extremism, blaming x because of y since you are a victim but we can do z, z being whatever nonsensical and irresponsible measure that would change things.