• Deceptichum@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

No.

He wants the Steamdeck user base to be 10 million, so it’s large enough to support a player base that can generate revenue if targeted.

And frankly it’s not a him problem. Nearly every dev refuses to release on Linux (and Mac) because of its small user base.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

They don’t have to release on Linux at all!!
      All they have to do is click a checkbox in the EAC SDK & contact Battleye to support Valve’s Proton & that’s it!!
      It is a Tim Sweeney problem.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Also, Unreal Engine, which the Epic Games Launcher was built in for some reason also has a checkmark for Linux, and they refuse to tick it. It’s to the point that while it is possible to do development for Unreal on Linux, they had to build a completely different way to get it up and running since the launcher doesn’t support Linux.

They consciously make efforts not to support Linux, it would literally take less effort to do it.

• themoonisacheese@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

To be entirely fair this is much less of a “tick the Linux box” solution, you actually have to program thing differently to work on Linux in that case. They obviously have the resources to do it but it’s less infuriating than the literal single click it would take to enable EAC on Linux on $game.

• pandacoder@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Fortnite loads fine on Linux but closes after reaching the main menu. It doesn’t crash, it closes. They’re actively blocking the community from self-supporting.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

There have even been times when Fortnite’s anti cheat was broken so that you could actually play the game perfectly fine on Linux.

I also once managed to get long enough into a game to be yelled at because the mic is open by default (which happened to be my laptop mic). Then I got kicked by anti cheat.

• AirBreather@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Yeah, but to be fair, maybe that fact about the EAC SDK isn’t common knowledge. I mean, we know it in our community, but a Windows-only game dev like Epic might not quite notice.

If that’s the case, then maybe whoever owns EAC could get some good publicity if they could convince Tim Sweeney to do a public stunt like livestreaming the process of opening up the config for Fortnite, enabling it for Proton, and then testing it on the Steam Deck. EAC gets good publicity, and Fortnite gets all the extra revenue from the Steam Deck users.

Of course, Tim Sweeney wouldn’t reach out on his own, he’s probably got far too many bigger things to do. It’s up to whoever owns EAC to get that ball rolling and schedule a meeting with Sweeney to make this proposal and see if they can make it work.

Does anyone know who that second person is? Not Tim Sweeney (the guy who probably doesn’t realize how easy it is to enable this in EAC), but the other person (the person who owns EAC)? Because trying to get through to that first guy is a challenge, so maybe we can get that second person to try their hand at it.

/j

• Square Singer@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

To be fair, you don’t look at the whole picture.

Yes, generating a Linux build wouldn’t require a lot of changes to the code.

But if they support Linux, they have to support Linux. This is not some student’s first indie game, but instead a massive game with up to 290 million monthly active users. That’s 3.7% of the whole world’s population! (And it’s also more than the number of total Linux users.)

So supporting Linux means they need to test on at least all currently maintained versions of maybe the top 20 or so distros on all sorts of hardware configurations. That would increase their testing costs by around a factor of 20.

They also need to support customers if they have problems. Considering the variability of Linux configurations, chances are high that this comparatively small segment of players will consume an aproportional amount of difficult support requests.

And lastly, if the Linux version of the game has some serious bugs on some setup, it might likely be that all these Linux users think the game is shit and start talking badly about it.

So it’s just a simple cost calculation: Does Linux support increase or decrease the total profit?

And if the variables change, the calculation changes with it. Exactly as Sweeny said in his post. People like Sweeny don’t care about ideals or about which OS they prefer. They only care about money.

And the revelation that a CEO likes money and dislikes risk isn’t exactly hard to figure out.

• XyliaSky@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

They don’t even have to support Linux. They just have to stop actively preventing the game from launching on Linux platforms.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Then they get bad press for cheaters using Linux or whatever due to some bug they easily could’ve caught during the QA they didn’t do. So they either need to scramble to fix it, or pull Linux support and block those older versions from connecting.

All of that is worse than never supporting Linux in the first place. So if they’re going to support it, they’re going to need to do proper QA and get their support staff trained to deal with Linux issues.

A smaller studio or something with SP only mode can get away with it, but it’s a lot more tricky for big MP games.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Can and should are very different things. Here are some big differences to understand why it doesn’t make sense for Fortnite, but it might make sense for Apex:

• Fortnite isn’t on Steam, so the only people who would play it on Linux are enthusiasts and cheaters (if it’s easier than on Windows)
                • Fortnite has way more players than Apex - the possible pool for new users is likely much smaller for Fortnite, and the potential for making money is higher with getting current users to spend than attracting new ones, and they have more users to lose with bad press
                • Fortnite has two anti-cheats, EAC and Battleye, Apex just has one (EAC); depending on how they’re integrated, that could mean twice the attack surface

I wish they’d support Linux, but I don’t think comparing to Apex makes a lot of sense here.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

https://lemmy.world/comment/6016698

Fortnite doesn’t have to be on steam to work. The only thing they’d likely have to change is removing the steam runtime, assuming Epic were to make a Linux store front, which is completely unnecessary because we already have our own solutions : Legendary/Heroic & Lutris.
                  https://lemmy.world/comment/6020626

Just like how Valve worked with Epic to get EAC working, they also worked with Battleye to get Battleye working, just have to contact Battleye to enable it.
                  It’s literally just another runtime.

B-Bu-But cheaters

There’s cheaters on every single platform, I can deadass cheat in fortnite from my android phone, PS4, Windows PC, and everything in between. What’s 2 more cheater’s per thousands more users.
                  Fuck, I can use an external raspberry pi and bypass their kernel lvl tamper protection in a snap.
                  And again, if Apex can detect people cheating on Linux from server side like EAC and Battleye is supposed to in the first place, then so can Epic Games.

Please stop defending this bullshit, Epic Games has everything in their power to support Linux and their excuses are merely just that, excuses.

I’m sick and tired of people shilling for this POS mega corp with the same bs arguments.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

I’m not saying it needs be on Steam to work, I’m saying it needs to be on Steam to be popular on the Steam Deck since the install process is otherwise quite involved. So if they just enable Proton in EAC, they’ll only get a handful of enthusiasts (who are probably playing on another platform anyway) and open themselves up to Linux-specific cheats.

so can Epic Games

I’m not saying they can’t, I’m saying it’s probably not profitable for them to do so. They’re not going to get many new users if they support Linux, so the net impact is that they’ll have another platform for support requests and potential cheats.

Apex is on Steam, so the barrier to play their game on Linux/Steam Deck is really low (just enable and potential users are now ~2% higher). So for them, turning on Linux support is probably profitable since they’ll convert a lot more people on that platform.

Please stop defending

What am I defending? I’m explaining why it likely doesn’t make business sense for Epic to support Linux. My point here isn’t to claim that Epic is doing something good here, but to show it’s probably not some weird hatred of Linux, but a business choice. Some of it is also probably a rivalry with Valve, but I don’t think Sweeney would let that get in the way of profits if push came to shove. Sweeney’s main goal AFAICT is to make money, not to stick it to some competitor.

Yes, Epic could support Linux pretty quickly if they chose to. They’re choosing not to, most likely because it won’t make them as much money as other efforts would. It’s really not complicated.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Just so I don’t have to repeat myself 1000 times.
          https://lemmy.world/comment/6016698
          https://lemmy.world/comment/6013450
          https://lemmy.world/comment/6014060
          https://lemmy.world/comment/6020626
          That should cover most if not all of your arguments.

but instead a massive game with up to 290 million monthly active users

total* across all platforms, not exclusively desktop.

Also, what XyliaSky@sh.itjust.works said.

• macniel@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s one thing to not release for Linux (thanks to wine and proton it’s no Biggie) another thing is to actively sabotage it to run on Linux which some Developers who can’t check a fricking Checkbox in EAC do.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Not preventing Linux use is implicit support, and it opens up another platform for cheaters to exploit. So if it works and your entire game is based on the online, MP experience, you need to QA on all possible platforms to stay on top of cheaters.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Support for Steam Deck != support for Linux version. Steam Deck use Proton to run Windows game on linux seamlessly.

Their direct competitor, Apex Legend, is steam deck verified. Big games like Monster Hunter World/Rise, Cyberpunk, Baldurs Gate 3, Elden Ring, etc etc, all steam deck verified. Check out this page for more info

It’s not a Linux problem, it’s a Tim Sweeny problem.

• ShortN0te@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

10 million is just an arbitrary number he will not honor when it is reached.

Valve has sold ‘multiple millions’(source) already. The 10 million will probably be reached soon. Not even to mention all the Linux users.

And frankly it’s not a him problem. Nearly every dev refuses to release on Linux (and Mac) because of its small user base.

Yes it is. He does not have to release for Linux. He just needs to allow the anti cheat to run on Proton. This is a simple config change not more. Fortnite will probably run fine on Proton.

• stardust@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

With that mind set explains why Epic was so late into trying to get into PC distribution.

• shani66@lemmy.comfysnug.space
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Isn’t he the asshole who threw a tantrum about pirates and swore to never release on pc again? Dude is just a worthless little bitch that doesn’t actually care about industry in the slightest. Every success epic has ever had has been in spite of him.

• stardust@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

And look how late they were when it came to launching their own digital platform. I’m not taking about games being on PC.

This is a company that saw consoles more worth putting resources towards and didn’t see it worth it too start their own Steam competitor even back in 2008.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Tim-Sweeney-Says-the-PC-Is-Dead-for-Games-80714.shtml

They had many chances to become the go to digital platform for PC.

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Every gaming company basically thought the PC was dead for gaming, only to be relegated to nerd paying high prices for hardware to play niche nerdy shit.

Honestly I still don’t know what changed, even Japanese devs are releasing on PC again, it’s a weird time.

• stardust@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

Well apparently Valve didn’t get the memo. By the time PS3 came out and the further into the Gen it got it became clearer that digital was the way forward. And you’d think a company with PC roots would have gotten their own digital distribution platform started once steam sales caught on.

The whole everyone thought pc was dead excuse is a poor one because Epic took until 2018 to bother with their own distribution platform. That’s a hell of a long time and too many years from the PC is dead excuse.

That’s what I mean by many many many missed chances. They had over a decade to enter as it became more and more obvious the money there was to be made from PC gamers.

• ampersandrew@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

PC gaming has only had a slow, steady rise since Steam entered the scene. But perhaps one other catalyst might have been the Games For Windows initiative (not “Live”) that standardized controller support, added some extra marketing oomph, and gave more incentive to make the same game on PC and console rather than making two entirely different games (sometimes with the same title, like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter).