• Square Singer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Proton with what? Stable or experimental? DXVK or Wine3D? X11 or Wayland? Nvidia closed source or open source?

That’s just what I came up with. There are probably a few more of these questions. Even Proton alone is not an easy target.

Especially if you want some low-level anticheat. And you know, if they have one platform that is easier to cheat, cheaters will all use that platform.

I don’t know about you, but playing with tons of cheaters doesn’t seem like a lot of fun to me.

• The Uncanny Observer@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

You are making it sound way more difficult than it actually is. If some lone indie developer can manage it, a huge corporation with billions of dollars could do it without a thought.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Lone indie devs don’t have to care about giving support to players, testing or cheaters.

So sure, if you completely ignore the difficult/expensive parts, the rest is super easy.

• 0xD@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah that’s just Linux evangelists here, it’s not really worth discussing anything with them lol.

• olafurp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Pick any Proton release you like. Support X11, Wayland will then probably work anyway unless people have nvidia gpus. Support DXVK and force people to use it.

If you support one way to run Proton you’re already most of the way there. Besides that majority of games just work fine without any work whatsoever.

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

They should actually target Wayland. Since Wayland will be what supports HDR, VRR, and is what the Steam Deck and most distros use.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Seems like you didn’t read my first comment that you replied to before.

But still, your view is totally fine for a little indie studio, but that doesn’t work for a game with >200 mio players.