I’m not some out-n-out rampant meat evangelical. I eat some. I eat most things.

A post came up in my ‘all’ feed which happened to be from a vegan community. I didn’t even look at the community, I just added a quick reply to the post.

It was something like “Another benefit of being a vegan is not worrying about contaminated chopping boards”.

I said simply “Thank goodness hot water and soap exists”. Or something like that.

I got banned instantly and couldn’t even reply to the person who posted after me along the lines of “you are clearly outing yourself as a Carnist and you’ll find no love here.”

I’ve got nothing against vegans as such and have enjoyed many a vegan meal. I find this knee-jerk banning and blocking a very sad and pathetic reaction. No wonder ‘The Left’ in all its forms is so easily targeted as ‘cancel-happy snowflakes’.

I say this as a rock-hard Lefty.

• the_q@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

You didn’t have to reply at all. You added nothing to the conversation except snark and you paid for it with a ban. Aside from all that you’re post here screams rightwing even using their words as insults.

Tldr you’re the problem.

• Lophostemon@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago
      1. How did they know I wasn’t vegan?
      2. Snark is the currency of the interwebs.
      3. I’m sure as shit not Rightwing. Quite the opposite.
      4. I really don’t care about a ban from a community I don’t care about. I’m slightly annoyed by the instant shut-down of communication however. This strikes me as poorly thought-out behaviour.

TLDR: I’m not the problem. Knee-jerk reactions are.

• psud@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

You won’t get banned here, but everyone is discouraged by all the vegan brigading, so it’s dead quiet

Still the best educational carnivore community is the one on Reddit

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ve only told my tale because this community popped up in my ALL feed and it seemed an appropriate venue. Brigading by any extremist group sounds deathly boring and annoying.

• Pons_Aelius@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Most vegans will never post in a vegan community as it is a personal decision for them and not a political statement. Those that do have often experienced pretty severe negative reactions from those around them and use the online space as a place to vent. So don’t be surprised if posting a baiting comment gets a strong reaction.

Most atheists will never post in a atheists community as it is a personal decision for them and not a political statement. Those that do have often experienced pretty severe negative reactions from those around them and use the online space as a place to vent. So don’t be surprised if posting a baiting comment gets a strong reaction.

Etc

Etc

Etc

I say this as a rock-hard Lefty.

Most left leaning people realise that other people’s personal choice (that effect them and no one else) are none of their business.

The mods in the vegan community have, most likely, already forgotten about this while it affected and upset you enough to post about it here.

Next time, scroll past and continue on with your day.

Problem solved.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah nah. If a post comes up in my ALL feed then I feel I have right to post something. I’m not really annoyed by the ban but this seemed a good place to tell my wee story. This community also came up in my ALL feed.

TBH I’m more amused by the cliched behaviour.

Peace to all involved.

Or perhaps ‘peas’ instead.