During qualifying, teams are limited in what compounds they can use in dry conditions. Teams are required to use the hard compound during Q1, the medium compound during Q2, and finally they can use the softs during Q3.

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I’m not really sure how this would make qualifying results much different. I suppose drivers/cars that are better able to get heat into tires are more likely to move beyond Q1?

• blackstrat@lemmy.fwgx.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Stupid rule. The on bit of a GP weekend that was basically perfect was qualifying.

This will punish slower cars and remove excitement and spectacle.

For a sport supposedly full of clever people F1 makes the worst decisions all the time.

• KlossN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Honestly though, what’s wrong with this? Since the qualifying tire no longer matters in the race, why not do this and save a few tires? They’re not really inexpensive (I don’t really buy the environmental part as their reason but it’s a nice bonus). It was one thing when going out on mediums in Q2 actually gave you an advantage in the race, but now there’s no reason not to do it really, except for maybe that the smaller teams get less runtime on the softer compound But even then, running Q1 on hards would give the teams more knowledge of that compound, something they often cite as a reason for not using them, and maybe some teams will pick a strategy involving it, or if an early saftey car happens they’ll be more confident to go the distance on hards, if possible. This also forces all teams to be good on all compounds (which is something (I think it was) Haas struggled with a few years ago. Idk I don’t see any real downsides with this (even if the upsides aren’t that great, might aswell do it.

• SouthernCross@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Having freedom in tyre choice is how lower tier teams have a go at making into Q2 and Q3. This decision would have a significant impact in their qualifying strategy. Teams with more powerful engines and faster cars aren’t going to be as affected.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This is just distracting from the fact that logistics has the most environmental impact by far.

Honestly if they really want to reduce tire waste they should not force Pirelli to make them degrade more on purpose.

• erusuoyera@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It would be a lot better if they just reduced the number of tyres and left it up to the teams to manage. This feels completely arbitrary and removes the spectacle of seeing all the cars at their fastest.

• Coelacanth@feddit.nu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wish they’d also have a rethink about the Sprint Quali format. It seems sprints are here to stay, but I really wish there were more differences between the actual race/quali and the sprint versions. They need to stand out more.

Maybe shorter sessions so you only have time for one lap and just do 10 eliminations after Q1 and then Q2 to set the top ten? I don’t know, but the sprint format needs something different.

• VenetianBauta@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The change will reduce the amount of tire sets needed during a weekend by 2 per car. It’s a (small) move towards sustainability that has very little impact in the sport itself…

• krische@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

If they cared about the impact of their tires on sustainability, then why require Pirelli to make tires that degrade so quickly? Just require tires that last a whole race/qualifying distance?

• jamesorlakin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But in that scenario without refueling there’s no pit stops, and thus no strategy options for the team beyond ‘drive quickly’?

• krische@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Exactly, so it seems that F1 saving a few sets of tires per weekend is really just paying lip service to sustainability.

They should just be honest and say that they are making this change because they just want something different.

• CataclysmZA@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

If it works, then they can keep it and market it as a sustainability initiative (with benefits to on-track drama).

If it doesn’t, it’s just a test to see what happens.

• gdbjr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They already tried this. It became dangerous as drivers that clearly had tire issues would not pit as the penalty for pitting for tires was quite severe.

I want to say it is either Kimi or Mika who had a bad set of flat spotted front tires they literally shook the car apart.

• Yaeger@feddit.de
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Another “win” for the fucking incompetent manifestation that is dominicali. Finding things that aren’t broke and break them. That must be his mission statement that gets him out of bed every morning.
    As a general rule, when in doubt, ask what that fucktard would do and the do the exact opposite for a guaranteed win. Absolutely clown shoes. When will this idiot finally pound sand?

• soEZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Not really sure I understand why this change is bad…i mean current setup is not much better, everyone just runs softs, unless it’s wet. Before these changes at least tire choice impacted the race as teams in Q3 had to use same tire in race as they used in qualiy. This change is gonna screw with teams that don’t do well on hards (cough merc cough)… Not sure it will hurt slower team’s but probably. Anyone has data on time deltas by tire type for some teams? Is the delta larger with certain tires?

• 💡dim@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This change is gonna screw with teams that don’t do well on hards (cough merc cough)…

So Perez, Hamilton and Russel out in Q1 now :D

• FlyLikeAMouse@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is what was planned for the Emilia-Romagna GP before it got called off, yes?

It sounds like a relatively sensible change from the perspective of limiting tyres used.