I’ll go first. Mine is that I can’t stand the Deadpool movies. They are self aware and self referential to an obnoxious degree. It’s like being continually reminded that I am in a movie. I swear the success of that movie has directly lead to every blockbuster having to have a joke every 30 seconds

• Wugger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

At the top of every reddit “What movie should never be remade?” thread is the LOTR trilogy. Well… I totally agree the movies are great, but not quite timeless. When I rewatched them a couple years ago for the first time in a long time I couldn’t get over the feeling that it screamed “Filmed and directed in the late 90s and early 00s!” I don’t have the film knowledge to point out exactly what it is but something about the way it is shot looks very dated to me and hasn’t aged as well, in my opinion, as everyone on the internet says it is.

I really do love the music and the art style and sets and casting too. Maybe it doesn’t need a reshoot, but a recut?

• Shyfer@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

The problem is no one is ever going to put in the work and prep production effort that Jackson and his team did. It could be made better and more modern, but will it in our current environment? No, all the practical effects would be replaced by CGI, all the armor and costumes for the tons of extras would just be CGI, the extras themselves would be CGI, and it probably would be packed with meta commentary and jokes. Just look at The Hobbit compared to Lord of the Rings. It doesn’t work without all the effort and pre-production, and I don’t think we’re getting a studio to ever make that bet again. It was pure luck we got it the first time.

• Chobbes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

This was exactly my thought… Some of the ent scenes are really rough now. Fantastic movies, though!

• pixeltree@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Tbh I think it’s kind of impressive that the green screen work is the rough part of the ent scenes. Treebeard himself is still really impressive imo. I had some of the eagle scenes in mind though

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It still looks better than The Hobbit though.

The CGI is still a bit dated (although somehow The Flash topped that), but there’s far less compositing of solo actors in green rooms, due to forced perspective.

• GentlemanLoser@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Man, hard disagree. Some of the CGI hasn’t aged especially well but those movies are technical marvels, the likes of which will never happen again because nobody will ever have the passion for the project Peter Jackson did.

• DrFuggles@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I think part of it is that movies are edited differently now. We’ve become used to much faster pacing, much denser storytelling and sweeping drone shots of everything, so older movies generally feel a bit lame now