2024 is the Year of Linux on the Desktop, at least for my boyfriend. He’s running Windows 7 right now, so I’ll be switching him to Ubuntu in a few days. Ubuntu was chosen because Proton is officially supported in Ubuntu.

• olafurp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Snap has really bad performance and licensing. I like that it’s cross-platform and gives devs easier time to release software on Linux. (Flatpak is better, ofc)

I personally would recommend Kubuntu and Pop!OS if asked. However, think that people that think “I should probably install Ubuntu” should install it. There are a billion guides on how to do X on Ubuntu for non-tech people and people starting out on line might not know that everything Ubuntu based behaves more or less the same except for the KDE/Gnome/xfce. It’s also supremely stable on top of that.

I think as a community we shouldn’t judge people based on their choice of distro.

• SisIsNotMaiMaserTong@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I use lubuntu on my 10 year old Laptop for work at the customers place, using VPN with strongswan to connect to my resources. At Home I use Ubuntu on my 7 year old Laptop. I REALLY do not understand the whole controversy. I use apt and can compile sourcecode to install Programms, I did not use the appstore at all. Is there something I did not realize as a plain user who has not so much knowledge about different distros? I personally like the gnome Desktop.