2024 is the Year of Linux on the Desktop, at least for my boyfriend. He’s running Windows 7 right now, so I’ll be switching him to Ubuntu in a few days. Ubuntu was chosen because Proton is officially supported in Ubuntu.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

It depends on what you mean. For me, it’s pretty user friendly, but I’m also fairly comfortable using a terminal and am very technologically literate. The fact it handles tedious tasks automatically (or can be made to trivially) is so much nicer than Windows. You can easily update all applications and your system in a matter of seconds. Compared to Windows where the application itself has to check for updates when it launches, sends you to download the installer, you have to run that and close the previous version, relaunch, and then you’re finally updated for that single application. Let’s not talk about system updates. Linux is more friendly. It requires a certain level of competence that Windows doesn’t, but if you’re above that level it’s generally better.

Sure, things can go wrong with DEs and other stuff, but it’s often easier than when things go wrong in Windows. Have you ever had the desktop or Explorer crash in Windows? It’s a bad time. Windows is not user friendly. People are just used to it.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Because anyone who has used Linux thinks user friendly means things just work and settings are in the same place as last time

Linux users tend to be more GUI-oriented than Windows users as well

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

They both do things that are more user-friendly than the other. The fact you think it isn’t user-friendly is really showing who doesn’t understand the term. I listed a few things Linux handles better than Windows, and there are many more. Windows fails at many steps, but people accept they understand Windows and deal with it. Windows also doesn’t have any options for customization, so it’s the same bad for everyone, which does help people solve issues, though they maybe shouldn’t have had them in the first place.

• NιƙƙιDιɱҽʂ@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Linux is more friendly. It requires a certain level of competence that Windows doesn’t, but if you’re above that level it’s generally better.

😂