I run jellyfin server on pc running windows 10. Am i missing something by running it on windows?

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Well, depends, it’s not like it will revolutionize anything but Windows has severe issues as a server.

• Reboots needed for system updates and anything that interacts with the Internet should really be updated regularly.

• High resource use for the operating system compared to Linux

• Limits you to only running natively because WSL and containers in general is not stable on Windows, they’re slower, tend to crash at inopportune times and in general is only good for development work, not actually running things over time. And if you run natively then it becomes a lot harder to run more stuff on the same server in terms of making everything play nice and make backup / restore feasible so you don’t need to restart from 0 in case of a system failure.

Those are my two cents. And the last one applies even if you run Linux, running without doing single purpose VM or containers is just not a good idea over time.

• notepass@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You should still reboot your Linux server regularly. While the updates can run in place, running processes will not pick up the changes until restarted. And when you update the kernel you also need to reboot the system to pick it up. While there are distributions out there that have systems in place to auto restart affected services and can upgrade kernels in place (e.g. Ubuntu with the right licence), it is still recommended to reboot every now and then. My server is set up to reboot once a month and after every kernel update.