• dosesingko@dzle125.stream
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As a cheapskate selfhoster who can only afford a few gigabytes of storage, It may come to a point where 30GB would not be enough to host the entire post history of the lemmy fediverse once user activity rises, and only those with deep pockets would be able to host archives of lemmy posts, just like usenet servers.

• BitSound@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Meh, storage is cheap, you can get TBs of storage for less than $100. If things really pick up and you’re a smaller Lemmy instance, I bet there’ll be some good ways to filter exactly what you store on the server.

• dosesingko@dzle125.stream
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well, I am hosting this instance on a VPS, also given that I currently reside in a third world country, my pay is shit that I cannot afford more storage. If there comes a time that I would have to delete some posts and comments to free space, given that I still have not explored the Postgres database container, I hope the devs included some foreign keys on the comments table that would make deleting stuff way easier.

• IverCoder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Control over your own instance, and the ability to choose which instance you federate with.

• Lapus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have not used it in almost a week and was thinking about giving up and down loaded jerboa.

• Die4Ever@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

If this is like Mastodon, then I think the server will flush items cached from other instances when they reach 6 months old