Despite being nominated for numerous awards and even winning Game of the Year in 2018, the creator of God of War, David Jaffe, is not a huge fan of the new direction the series has gone in. Jaffe himself hasn’t worked on these new God of War games, but thinks that they’re not staying true to the spirit of the character and the franchise. The creator noted that if developers want to pour their life experiences into their work, they should do it with new IPs and characters.

• LuffyisBlack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m pretty sure this is less about the quality of the game and more about ppl working on his creation without him. You can see this a lot in comic books

Creators will be pissed that ownership has continued work on something they created without them.

Pretty much why Allen Moore hates comics so much. Or even why John McAfee hated his anti virus program.

• Defaced@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I played about 3 hours of 2018, and my honest opinion is that the story was kind of interesting, but the gameplay was slow and clunky. The most fun I had with my time was the fight in the beginning with Baldur, and most of it was a cutscene. I prefer the gameplay and fluidity of combat in the original trilogy, which I have beaten, to this new version. With that being said, it’s still a good game, just not my cup of tea.

• randomaside@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

His tone, the way he mocks other creators, comes off as (for lack of a better term) developmentally stunted. I understand if you disagree with the product because your vision is different, but the way he expresses it is so reductive that it’s hard to see his points as valid beyond his feelings.

With that being said, It’s been awhile since I’ve seen David Jaffe and he’s kinda got a “We’ve got Dan Harmon at home” vibe about him now.

• The_Vampire@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Went and watched the original.

Seems like he just doesn’t like the direction and it’s a ‘different strokes for different folks’ kind of thing. I think his point about Ragnarok is fair, the writing is a bit all over the place and that can make characterization suffer.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I only ever played the first 2 until I got a PS5 that came with Ragnarok.

They’re not even the same game anymore. The originals were more akin to Devil May Cry while Ragnarok felt like it could have been an Assassin’s Creed game.

I can’t say much for the story since I haven’t gone very far in Ragnarok (and only beat 1 and 2 back in the day so my memory on details is a bit hazy) but the game play is definitely a lot different than it started.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I’ve always loved god of war. Chains of Olympus being my favourite one. And I still love the new ones both gameplay and story wise. I really like kratos as a character and I like the story of him finally having time to reflect on his actions in the original series and trying to better himself afterwards.

• AmberPrince@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I kinda wish the article has expanded on what he said, if anything. Does he still think they are well made games even if he doesn’t like the direction?

Like, I don’t like the new Zelda games, I don’t think they have stayed true to the original Zelda (not you Zelda II) games. That said, I cannot deny that a lot of care and polish went into them, I just don’t like the direction.

Sure, the new God of War games are not the original avatar-of-rage Kratos but they are still exceptional games.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

David Jaffe is kind of a nut these days though. Like what has he done in recent years?

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Was Ragnarok less loved? I got a bad feel for it with some comments so left off playing it. Then I got it and loved every second of it.

• Davidchan@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Literally every person I know that played it loved it more than the 2018 reboot, which is saying something since the 2018 GoW put the franchise back on the map after its years long downturn.

• yamanii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

He’s not wrong, do new stuff, too many remakes and remasters nowadays.

• rimjob_rainer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I can understand him. God of War 2018 and Ragnarok have basically nothing to do anymore with the original games. They could have made a new IP but they had to take the name and characters for brand recognition.