I hate Facebook but realized I can’t uninstall the bloatware Messenger app from my phone since I actually need it for Facebook Marketplace (I usually use it for selling second-hand stuff and looking for other products/services). Also I have plenty of friends there and it might be good to reconnect with some without dealing with the spyware Meta shit.

Also something for WhatsApp would be good as well

• Nesola@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’d suggest Signal Messenger as a alternative for WhatsApp. It’s an easy enough switch for most people and therefore I’m my opinion more practical. I was able to convince - over time - most of my peers to move over and could then cut off and delete WhatsApp.

• Rose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s worth mentioning that Facebook’s/Meta’s messenger apps use the Signal tech anyway.

• black_mouflon@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If privacy is your goal you’ll probably achieve nothing or very little unless you fully delete your entire Facebook account. If you seek to improve your security maybe you should consider accesing Facebook only through a compartmentalized profile on your phone (CalyxOS and GrapheneOS allow for this not sure if regular android does as well). By creating a profile only for the privacy introusive social media you can’t avoid you can at least limit the data they can acces from the rest of the things on your phone. And by accesing it only on your phone and not pc you can also limit the number of devices you expose. Better on your phone rather on your pc since pcs don’t have good permition management at the OS level typically.