• Cowbee@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

There’s nuance, because leftists saying voting isn’t going to change anything meaningfully as far as moving towards the left is still true.

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

That is true, but not voting or casting a protest vote right now ensures fascism, under which there will be literally no choice at all.

At least under a democracy there are chances to improve things, like replacing FPTP with a better voting system that will actually allow the left a seat at the table. That’s already happening in some places and there’s a movement (supported by democrats and vehemently opposed by republicans) to enact alternative voting methods.

Unfortunately there’s been so much apathy for decades that the fascists have got their foot solidly in the door. There was nuance years ago, but we squandered it. There’s little point debating left vs liberal when fascism has taken hold. That must be stopped first.

There’s no such thing as moral neutrality in this environment, and as much as it sucks, not voting against fascism is the same as voting for fascism.

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Hence my original point, leftists must vote for liberals, even if it isn’t ever going to improve the system, and must work themselves to build up leftist structures without hoping for help from liberals. If they don’t vote, then fascists take power, and leftists lose the chance to build leftist structures at all.

I do think you’re too hopeful that a 2 party Capitalist state designed to change as little as possible would meaningfully improve from within, rather than under pressure from without, but it would be great if you were right about that.

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I’m not that hopeful that the left can change the system from within, to be honest, I’m just certain it’s too late to think about that because under fascist rule, not only will things not improve, but many of us will face genocide.

The time for leftist change was 20 years ago, or with any luck, 8 or so years from now after the fascist threat has been quashed. Right now we have to think about unifying like it’s 1932.

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Only thing I disagree with is the idea that leftist change was more possible 20 years ago, Capitalism’s instability and inherent structural flaws only make themselves more apparent and severe as time goes on, and with that comes potential for change. The left is larger than ever before, and is constantly growing.

• voidMainVoid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

That’s already happening in some places and there’s a movement (supported by democrats and vehemently opposed by republicans) to enact alternative voting methods.

Where? And who in the DNC supports this?

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Here.

And here’s one resource to support it. There are many others, both local and national.

eta: I’m on mobile so searching and linking is hard, but you can find people running for office who support these efforts by googling the office (senator, mayor, or whatever) and ‘free vote initiative’ or some synonyms. There are some (mostly local) republicans, substantially more democrats, and a huge majority of 3rd party candidates for obvious reasons).

I strongly recommend bringing it up with your representatives. 3rd party and democrats have been teaming up for this, and republicans have been fighting it because FPTP greatly benefits them and they know it.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Unfortunately there’s been so much apathy for decades that the fascists have got their foot solidly in the door.

That apathy has been earned.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

So is the illusion of being able to shift the Overton window in any way more important than saving your supporters from genocide?

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Reread the original comment. It’s absolutely important to vote as loss prevention, but you’re never going to get meaningful systemic change towards the left via voting.

Vote to protect, actually make grassroots movements like unionizing and organizing to move to the left.

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Reread the original comment. It’s absolutely important to vote as loss prevention, but you’re never going to get meaningful systemic change towards the left via voting.

Vote to protect, actually make grassroots movements like unionizing and organizing to move to the left.

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Both are important, and you don’t get to only pick one. You can do both, prevent fascism and genocide, while also building up leftist structures like unions and networks of mutual aid.

That’s like asking you if you’re going to wipe your ass after you shit or wash your hands, and saying you can only pick 1. This is the absolute dumbest “would you rather” and should be ignored and tossed in the trash.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

In the real world, you can only get one. So have some courage to be honest about what you’re really saying and choose:

A) Shift the Overton window to the left, which will 100% guarantee Trump gets re-elected with the murder of millions

B) Vote for a Democrat which will keep Trump out of office and save millions of lives, but keep the Overton window center-right for the rest of the decade

Pick one. I dare you to truly be honest and do it.

• Cowbee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

No, you terminally online radlib.

A) shift the Overton Window to the left via grassroots movements such as Unionization, organizing, setting up networks of mutual aid, building parallel structures, and advocate for others to do the same, while plugging your nose and voting Democrat to keep fascists out of office, LIKE I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL POST.

B) do whatever the fuck you’re doing, and try to encourage voter apathy while absolutely railing against anyone even suggesting both voting democrat and unionizing.

I pick option A, both denying Trump and also shifting the Overton Window to the left. You pick option B, doing absolutely jack shit while screaming online and also voting Democrat, leaving America an increasingly far-right state with nothing to to show for it in several years time.

Touch grass.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

keep the Overton window center-right for the rest of the decade

It’s the exact fucking opposite.

Every time a Democrat has won, the US has slowly become more left and passed left wing policies like “hey maybe more people should be able to afford healthcare” and “shit we better do something about the climate”. It is undeniable that Obamacare and the Inflation Reduction Act are the furthest left legislation of their time.

What’s happened every time a conservative has won however? You saw the Tea Party enabled and their takeover of the Republican Party because they won in 2010. You saw Trump enabled and takeover the Republican Party because he won in 2016. Every time Republicans have won, they’ve taken it as vindication and confirmation that their far right movement is successful.

You want the window to move left? Make sure the right wing loonies don’t win an election. If you can find a way to do that and also not support Democrats, I’m all ears.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I suppose it might look that way if you aren’t a minority or a woman or gay. If nothing meaningful has changed in the last 100 years, then we could go back to the policies of the 1900s-1920s without any difference. And I very much doubt anyone wants to do that, because there are very big differences.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

The things that did change did not start with voting. Especially because women couldn’t vote to get the right to vote.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

So they started with the liberal framework of free expression and ended with voting? Good point I guess.

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                6 months ago

That’s how democracy works… ? Where do you think the issues come from that wind up on the ballot?

e: sorry if I’m missing sarcasm.