• Hypnoctopus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Lots of people in fuck cars communities are black and white about it. They’re very unwilling to even discuss compromise. They’ll say the city needs to build a subway system under all the farmland.

• teuast@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

can you point me to that? because i spend a lot of time in these communities and have never actually seen that

• pyska@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s fair to say absolutely 0 cars is also a problem. But we could use a bit more public transport, and less cars than what we currently have. Especially where we know many people move “in mass”, like cities in rush hour.

• utopianfiat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

You tell me; your community was likely first built by having a train line drawn out to it in the frontier era, and later had the tracks scuttled due to obsolescence and overt state support for the motor vehicle alternative.

Rural rail has been done and is still done in pretty much every country that’s not the USA. If you’re a farmer, there’s a lot of rationale to having rail built out to whatever market terminal you sell your product at. It’s not unheard of for farmers to build out small private rail lines across the farm to transport goods, equipment, themselves, etc.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t know a country as spread out as the U.S. that has practical rail in all rural areas. Certainly not Canada or China or India.

• utopianfiat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Canada is carbrained like the US, but China and India actually have extremely profuse rail networks.

• spiphy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The U.S. The U.S. was that country. The country was built by train.

Oh, and 80% of the population lives in cities!

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

And that 80% of the population should have robust public transit.

Then there’s the rest of us who don’t live in cities. The train never went out to farmer’s fields in the hopes of picking up people here and there who happened to live between them. That’s nonsense.