• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

From what I understand (as an AMD user), NVK is a driver that aims to allow users to achieve the same level of support and performance as they would get with the proprietary Nvidia driver. If that is the case, does that mean Wayland on Nvidia can finally be as good as it is on AMD? If so, then 2024 can pave the way to complete Wayland transition and full Wayland support for all uses, including Gaming, and for all hardware, including Nvidia GPUs. If that happens, 2025 will be (I’m sorry, I know it’s a meme at this point) the year of the Linux desktop.

• ChewyOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I don’t know how good the open source OpenGL implementation is on Nvidia Turing and later. This is important because most compositors don’t support Vulkan rendering (Sway does support it experimentally).

But yes, this’ll likely make Wayland work great on Nvidia at some point. Especially the ootb experience.

As I understand it, NVK won’t help people who need proprietary Nvidia features like DLSS or CUDA, so this is mainly great news for those who only game.