Hey yall, just wanted to pop in for a quick update. I’m here and very much alive and well. Things have been kinda dead off and on, just been recovering from medical stuff and just tending the server and occasionally popping in for the auto scheduled bot post.

Basically, I took a break from being super active here for my own well being to prevent from fully burning out. I’m feeling a bit better and am ready to dive back in to lemmy.

So, the elephant in the room. As some of you may already know, Meta’s twitter clone thread’s is actively making steps towards federation with AcivityPub. At baseline this doesn’t really affect lemmy anyway since content is very broken out from lemmy into the outside world, and facebook is explicitly building with microblogging in mind. Lemmy is still in its infancy, and it likely will not work with threads when they fully federate anyway.

With that aside, we will not be federating with Facebook or any of its platforms. Beyond all the clear issues such as meta being an active danger human society (reading list can be provided if there’s any interest about the evil of Meta/Facebook), I’m here to read and talk about books not mop up after Facebook. Moderation tools in Lemmy aren’t up to par as is and the idea of federating with an instance nearly triple the current user count of the entire fediverse makes me feel ill. I hope yall understand.

That’s about it, any questions? Thoughts? Concerns?