One of these has definitely hauled more than the other, and i guarantee you it’s not the ford.

• Norgur@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s always easy to spot the difference between cars that are used for heavy duty and those that are used to make someone feel all rugged and heavy duty while farting in their specially crafted office chair because regular chairs make back all hurty hurty.

• danielbln@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Hey, if I see a pickup that looks like it’s doing work (some grime, work equipment, etc.) then more power to the owner. If it looks like it just got the third layer of wax done, maybe not so much.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I drive pickup because I’m a farmer. The comment here about pickups being terrible terrible at most jobs obviously comes from someone who doesn’t use one for work. Are they really suggesting I buy three different vehicles and the environmental costs associated with producing them? I don’t even like traveling for fun. My pickup is a 99, so it’s not even that tall compared to what they sell now. I can do all my deliveries, pickups, and even took the back seat(4 door) out for more cargo space.

That being said, modern pickups have gotten too bulky without any gains 8n function. A dream build for me would be an 80s era square body with a modified Tesla rear end.

If we really want to start comparing, SUVs don’t offer any more function over a classic station wagon. Build one of those with modern crumple zones, materials, and make it an EV and you have the perfect around town errant vehicle.

• Onionizer@geddit.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I drive pickup because I’m a farmer

That puts you in the like 1% minority of pick-up owners

• Lemmy.ml@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I drive pickup because I’m a farmer. The comment here about pickups being terrible terrible at most jobs obviously comes from someone who doesn’t use one for work.

But they are terrible at most jobs. Your job just happens to be one of the few exceptions.

And even that might be debatable, I don’t see most farmers here use those things, they drive a tractor for the heavy shit and a small car for most othet things. But that might be a regional difference, I’m not a farmer myself.

Either way, those huge pickups have no business in a parking garage.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Small farm. Pickups are good for quickly hauling tools, fertilizer, seed, etc… to fields. Huge, thousand acre fields might use tractor trailers with flatbed or liquid holding tanks. We have a box truck for big deliveries, but a pickup will be good for small deliveries. More fuel efficient and easier in irregular parking lots then a box truck. I’ve also made a grease pumping setup on skids that I use to pick up wvo. That can go in most pickups.

When I have to drive though gridlock in NYC, what I see are yuppies in SUVs that wont make eye contact while they sit their asses in the middle of the intersection. I’m surprised those even fit in parking garages. They should really put a height limit on privately owned vehicles in cities.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Tractor + small van seems to work fine for all farmers in Europe.

• Andjhostet@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Farming and construction are the only fields that need a truck. Everything else can be done better with a van, yeah.

• Matt Shatt@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

But are we arguing van vs truck now? Seems like such a slight difference. I do wish I had a van instead of a truck sometimes but when I get yard or mulch dumped into my truck bed, I’m glad I don’t.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The comment here about pickups being terrible terrible at most jobs obviously comes from someone who doesn’t use one for work.

It probably comes from someone who doesn’t use one at all. If you actually use it for work, this comment is not about you. The top 3 selling vehicles in the US are massive pickup trucks, and have been for decades.

There are simply not that many farmers. They’re being used to commute back and forth to the office because they’re comfortable and they “like riding high above everyone else”.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Is that static grouping all pickup sales to all car sales or just the leading pickup model to the leading car model?

Because there aren’t as many models of pickups out there as there are cars. One manufacture can have half a dozen models that are all about the same, but with different badges them, but a truck platform will only have the pickup and maybe an suv.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

No, read it again. “Top selling vehicle”. That includes cars and SUVs and everything else.

• TDCN@feddit.dkOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I totally agree. I have a friend who works with forresty and managing a very large area. She has one 8f those big range rowers and it gets absolutely beaten and used heavily every day driving through the terrain while hawking chain saws, tools and gear. Tho I still find the size to be somewhat comically and unnessearyly large and inelegant. For domestic use it’s even more stupid

• Cypher@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve done heavier towing in a van than that Ford can legally come close to. A digger in the back with 3.5 tons of equipment on a dual axel trailer.

No one needs these pointless wastes if space. They’re a fashion statement not a working vehicle.