• spacecadet [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It absolutely has meaning. It’s like rainbow capitalism. It is ridiculed here on this site all the time and is a prime example of how liberalism prioritizes the PR campaigniness of proving they are doing good vs actually doing anything good at all. We are in the deep end of it and it’s fucking wild.

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Idk I’ve only ever seen reactionaries whinge about it, to me it’s practically meaningless because it’s not really an effective critique of capitalism, or liberalism in general. It’s the same class of words like “woke,” “SJW,” “PC” etc.

You already mentioned “rainbow capitalism” and that’s already a better word for it because it at least describes it a bit better. That’s just me though shrug-outta-hecks

• mar_k [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Identity politics is a vague term for any political discourse/movements centering race, gender, sexuality, etc. BLM is idpol. Palestinian nationalism is idpol. Feminism is idpol. Trans rights movements are idpol. Engaging in idpol doesn’t mean you can’t recognize class and intersectionality.