Would this also be called “Reply guys”? Very rude, worst part, i already know reporting & blocking does nothing as another one can and will eventually pop up.

Anyoneone else feel frusterated with not being able to vent without rude people posting?

Another thing i noticed, alot of rude people come from lemmy dot world.

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

A big part of what made reddit terrible was redditors. Now redditors are using lemmy.

Blocking is the one thing that makes social media usable if you are a normal people and not some asshole with a pathological need to piss people off.

Right now lemmy is not mature in letting you have fine grained control of what you see and who sees you. Mastodon has stuff like instance blocking, privacy settings to control who sees your posts, etc. Maybe in the future when lemmy has more users there will be a demand of stuff like this. Mastodon is narrower in scope than lemmy so it is easier to design features like these. But hopefully we see options like this in lemmy as well because they make the software more human friendly.

• Alunya𝕏ers (she/her)@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That’s because lemmy.world is where a lot of redditors have migrated to following the Reddit Exodus to Lemmy. Redditors often tend to be rude.

I’m sorry that you had to encounter them. 🫂

• albigu@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah, dotworld has attracted a lot of those “witty” single-sentence reply guys from Reddit. They’re indiscernible from bots sometimes, just sort any reddit thread on r/all by new.

• SapphicFemme@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh yeah, I’ve seen some pretty tude & messed up replies. Culture of abuse caused by tolerance of rudeness.

Starts with rude replies, than they think “well nobody has banned or warned me, imma say nastier stuff”.

• albigu@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, some forums used to have a “on probation” tag for people that were causing trouble but hadn’t been permabanned yet that used to help a bit by hurting their reputation. I wonder if some functionality like that could be implemented as an add-on to Lemmy like that using functionality like the reddit masstagger but crowdsourced. For now I’m always assuming bad faith or reddit behaviour from dotworld accounts by default. Blocking them as an individual doesn’t work because them they just get to harass the people who didn’t block them yet without being noticed.

• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve begun to think that we’d be better off defederated from .world. Nothing I’ve seen suggests they’re anything but blue-no-matter-who liberal timewasters, and the worst of reddit rolled up into one little bitty dung ball.

• Sleepless One@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve found .world to be a mixed bag. You’ll get some real dipshits from from there, but I’ve also seen several who interact in good faith. I think the inconsistency comes from being a general purpose instance.

• Serinus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I agree. If all you can do is whine about different perspectives, you should defederate.

I don’t know why you should expect anyone to change their worldview based on one comment that contains, paraphrased, “China doesn’t have a child labor problem like the US does.”

You can’t just hurl insults and bullshit and expect anyone to change their mind.

• Black Yeonmi Par𝕏@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And who are you? Other than someone who really had the nerve to turn up in GenZedong and think they were playing pithy like “yeah iunno why anyone would prefer dictatorship to democracy” like Amerika even has one of those? Trick, get lost.

• SapphicFemme@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

To each their own. It gets frusterating when people post rude things to others and then myself, when i never wanted to be subjected to it. We shouldn’t tolerate it.