Welp, I made a similar thread yesterday regarding Manjaro but I decided to swap to Fedora as my daily driver for stability purposes. Unfortunately since fedora is yet another non Debian distro I need help finding a Syncterm replacement.

I’m my previous thread it was pointed out to me that syncterm has a docker option which I can run on Fedora, but I’d prefer running an app locally if possible.

I tried the Syncterm snap package which boots inside bash, but it doesn’t have ANSI support (which is the entire point of using Syncterm) since I assume it’s simply piggy backing off of bash- hence the 1.5* review on the snap store.

Looking for options… if anyone can help a Linux noob I’m all ears. I tried Alien to convert deb to rpm and fell on my face.

• waterproof@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m out of the loop, why is Manjaro considered a “bad distro” ?

I have used it for quite some time now, and I enjoy it, i find it fairly simple, fast and pretty.

Is there something I’m missing ?

• hemko@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It feels like a fork for the sake of “I use arch BTW”

It doesn’t add anything of value on top of “vanilla” arch, but they still manage to break stuff that works in Arch, occasionally ddos AUR and if I recall correctly there was some controversy because the developers were assholes

• LeFantome@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Except of course that more ex-Manjaro people move to EOS than vanilla Arch. I have no data on this but there are certainlymore EOS commenters on Manjaro threads than pure Arch ( though often those groups overlap a lot as many people use both ).

I do not know anybody that uses both Manjaro along with any other Arch distro. You are either in or out on Manjaro.

• NotSteve_@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

That’s wrong though, isn’t it? AFAIK, Manjaro hosts their own repos with a focus on up to date but slightly more stable packages

• NotSteve_@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

For sure, but the AUR poses a risk to any system if you’re not careful. I don’t think it’s really fair to blame Manjaro for that

• sorrybookbroke@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Going to weigh in, manjaro devs are kinda incompetent. They’ve ddosed the aur twice in the exact same way, showing that they hadn’t done anything to solve the inherent issue. Their ssl certs keep expiring, even though auto-renewal takes about ten minutes to set up while telling their users to “change your clocks time” as a patch solution while they fix their certs once (which took hours).

Their head arm developer sent a patch to asahi linux which broke x-org, showing he shipped code without so much as running the thing to test making a change well known and documented to cause this error with zero benefit to the project or his commit. This, after manjaro claimed that “manjaro works on the macbook m1” by using the asahi kernal with a full on campaign, shipping a random kernel from the release page which was known to be broken. It would not turn on, and could easily have broken users systems. Asahi at the time simply did not work, nor would it for a while.

They keep making dumb mistakes learning nothing and not asking for help when it’s obviously needed. Their two week delay, though it fixes some issues, commonly still ships known broken updates when unnecessary.

They put the aur directly next to flatpack and snap in pamac without a proper warning. The aur is dangerous, you need to know how to use it, and to read the pkgbuild. Anybody can put any app up there and you’ll be running arbitrary code on the system. Flatpack and snaps are quite safe, the aur is not. A while ago, a guy put a list of people who can “fuck themselves”, insults, and homophobic statements alongside two calls to a IP grabber in the dolphin emulator package. When there’s malware on linux, the aur is likely to be the first targeted

They’ve made many suggestions in their forums that lead to bad habits, putting more stress on arch devs and their servers.

It’s due to the continual incompetence of the devs, them damaging other projects they depend on, and the devs being quite unfriendly in the forums that people hate manjaro. I’d love to see it become better as the concept is a decent one but with the current leadership and work being done I have to caution against it’s use

• abuttandahalf@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

My problem with Manjaro was that they continually kept their repos behind arch while still depending on the aur and other arch infrastructure. This caused problems like aur packages not being buildable, and software that used the arch debuginfod server being unusable.

• NotSteve_@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Same here. I’ve used it on and off for years without any issues. My current install is around a year old and so far has been running smoothly.

I mostly keep it stock with GNOME and use it for dev work which it handles well

• Dio9sys@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Every time I’ve tried to use Manjaro, within a year or two the entire OS shits the bed. Whether it’s dependency hell, broken SSL certs or the display drovers fucking up. Legit never had that problem with other arch-based distros or arch itself, or even with fedora tumbleweed which is the “unstable” rolling release flavor of Fedora that I’m currently using.

• Crozekiel@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

This was my experience as well. Caused me to give up on Linux for a while as everyone was so eager to recommend manjaro back then.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It breaks. It may never break on you but it breaks on A LOT of people and, as a result, there are lots of “don’t use Manjaro people out ther”…

I am not going into detail as I am exhausted from arguing with Manjaro fans that want to pretend all is ex-Manjaro users are wrong about our own experience. The above answers your question. Believe it or not.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Apparently he still believes other Linux desktop distros don’t randomly brick themselves with updates every six months.

He’s in for. A treat.

• nix@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

They don’t. I’ve been on the same Debian install on laptop and desktop for years. It’ll make some odd decisions with packages sometimes, but it hasn’t bricked.

I don’t have hard data, but you don’t see these kinds of posts about Debian, Mint, Ubuntu or Fedora.