Similar to the recent question about artists where you can successfully separate them from their art. Are there any artists who did something so horrible, so despicable, that it has instantly invalidated all art that they have had any part in?

• Delphia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I honestly believe that if you’re convicted of shit like this the band should be able to sue to have your rights to royalties and any songwriting/producing credits revoked. Even if they have to surrender any monetary outcome to the victims or their families.

• Geobloke@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I know I loved the band growing up and the band have tried to separate themselves from the singer, but how can you? The music is still good but it can’t avoid leaving a bad feeling knowing he used the fame generated by the shared music for such heinous thing

• Delphia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

It would make it a bit easier for people who can if you knew that the scumbag wasnt getting royalty cheques anymore.

Ian Watkins is a fucking extreme example, but imagine putting in a dozen years of your life and career, your art and passion into a band and its catalogue only for the lead singer to make it absolutely radioactive.