welcome to the weekly how’s your week going thread

this thread is a pretty straightforward and relaxed one for giving updates on how your week is going and chat like that. nothing special

on my front: last week was total chaos, so hoping for things to calm down this week because it is completely fucking up my groove; unfortunately reddit is not making that easy. this is also not ideally timed for my emotional state. anyways, read book 20 for the year (America City by Chris Beckett). on book 21. maybe i’ll marathon through a bunch of these in between keeping the site from being on fire

• Lumu@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Very good! Just found this community, learning to navigate the site a bit (so far it’s nice and straightforward). Made some onigiri for the first time with scrambled egg filling. Came out decent!

• Sarah@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My partner lives in the US, and I’m Canadian. It’s been stressful for both of us to pay for visits and to be constantly saying goodbye. I need to get a stable income, then we’ll be able to live together. We’ve been working on an indie game together, and I hope it’ll do well. Our Steam page just went up, which feels really nice.

• Nooch@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My wife and I decided we will start trying to get pregnant. we have not, because we live check to check. shes 41 now, and we are just getting older so why not take a chance?

Self love, and self compassion are new concepts in my life this week. I typically rely on repression, and pushing how I feel down. I aim to replace my coping technique from repression, to a more positive and healthier self love.

Like a few others here, this is my first comment and I look forward to new possibilities and new friends, and I hope you have a great rest of your week.

• EponymousBosh@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s been good so far. We had thought one of my cats had cancer, but we got a call from the vet yesterday and it turns out she doesn’t, so that’s excellent.

I’m trying out this timer app to try and keep myself on some kind of schedule. So far so good!

• balerion@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Meh. Not great. First I had a sleep study wherein I did not sleep at all, and now I’m trying to install some software I need to do homework and it is absolutely not cooperating.

• alyaza [they/she]@beehaw.orgOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

oh cool, our landlord is finally fixing the fucking hole in our bathroom ceiling (has been there for like an entire ass year). nice of them to eventually get around to it, i guess

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

to give you guys some perspective this wasn’t a little hole either. they had to take out an entire, probably 2ft by 2ft, square panel of the ceiling (there was a leak upstairs which fucked everything up). we’ve been living with that just casually above the bathtub for an eternity. very stupid, and landlords should not exist

• JCPhoenix@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

A year?!

Reminds me of back in April 2021 when the building’s chiller unit died. So no AC. It was unseasonably hot during that time, peaking into the upper 80s/low 90s F (~30-33C). Overnight, the temps were still pretty elevated, especially since this was in the middle of the city, which meant lots of heat radiating off the streets, buildings, etc.

It took the apartment managers like 4 weeks to get it fixed. People were starting organize protests. Our apartments ended up on the news.

They did buy me a portable AC though. And they gave my brother and I like half off rent for the month. Still sucked. Thank god I don’t live there anymore, since that wasn’t the only issue we experienced.

Hopefully you were able or will be able to wring some concessions out of them for them waiting a whole ass year!

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hopefully you were able or will be able to wring some concessions out of them for them waiting a whole ass year!

haha, no. what we we gonna do, move? there’s no housing around here that’s affordable, and we barely afford this place as is. we did get a new dishwasher, but that was incidental and also a thing they broke and didn’t fix for like six months.

• JCPhoenix@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My company is hosting our big event of the year towards the end of the month. We’re expecting about 600 people this year. While we’ve been preparing for the last several months, the stress and worry didn’t hit me until today. We have three weeks until we ship our stuff out to the event center and I’m in charge of the logistics. And there are worries that not everything we need will arrive before ship via freight.

I’m also unveiling some new software for some of our volunteers to use at the event. I have no clue if this is going to work, but from my admittedly limited testing with coworkers, it seems like it will. If it doesn’t work, that’s OK, we can revert to an older system on the fly. But I really want it to work, because I think it’ll be a better experience for the volunteers, attendees, and my coworkers. Plus I don’t want to have wasted all this time researching and setting this up.

On the plus side, last week my event manager and I met with the AV rental company. We were able to knock off $25,000 from the initial quote by getting rid of stuff we didn’t need and by deciding to run some AV stuff ourselves. Didn’t feel so bad about splurging on upgrades to my train/plane tickets after that!

This is my 17th edition of this particular annual event. Yeah, I’ve been with the company that long. Anyway, it always comes together and our attendees are always greatly pleased. If there are issues behind the scenes, our attendees never see or know about them. We have several veteran staff who’ve helped run this event more times than me, So any stress and worry is generally overblown. But we still never want to rest on our laurels.

Regardless, I’ll be happy on July 2, because the event will be over!

• BinaryDigit @beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Doing well, thank you for this thread. I’m having a bit of career crisis as I don’t know what job I want to get next. Tired of tech and feeling lost haha. I’ll figure it out :)

• Inspectigator@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Don’t discount the trades! I am very happy in my programming job, but if I ever found myself out of work again, or burt out on the career, I would definitely heavily consider moving my skillset that way!

• SoaringFox@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve never been a big journal-er but I’ve been working on my mental health and I just saw there’s going to be a new iphone journaling app that I’m excited to try out. Do you use an app or write in a notebook?

• OhSnapKracklePopped@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not too great, honestly. I’ve been sick ans unmedicated. However I made myself look food at work and had a day off to relax today and so that was cool. One more day of work and I’m off for another two as well!

• Captain_Pieces@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

idk, i’ve been stuck between a rock and a hard place for awhile but this weeks been rougher than usual. Weirdly I’m feeling hopeful for the future though, maybe it has to get worse before it gets better.

• Mordano@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Been a little difficult. Trying to just take one day at a time.

I have been reading This is How They Tell Me the World Ends by Nichole Perlroth. It’s a book about modern cybersecurity.

I have been mainly getting up, working (from home) and going to bed.

• Ignacio@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

After a couple of months doing photosynthesis, my ADHD medication finally decided to allow me to study this morning. But no more than 90 minutes. Now I’m again in my endless scrolling and doing nothing productive.

Besides that, I’m trying to be more active in kbin.social / lemmy instances to create more content through comments or post and engage, knowing the inevitable doom from Reddit (although I have an user on sopuli since last year).

• chaoticPuppies@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m waging a losing war against the squirrels for my flower bed. So far, I have saturated the area with Irish Spring soap shreds and sprayed a mix of Repel All/Tobasco sauce on everything. The smell is nauseating.

Does anyone know if those sonic repellant machines actually work?

• hellerphant@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have no idea, but now I am imagining tiny squirrels in WW2 helmets planning an ambush on your garden, so thanks for that!

• Schedar@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Can’t comment for squirrels but the sonic repellant worked really well for cats that had been doing their business at the bottom of the garden. Squirrels are basically small cats right?