• Osa-Eris-Xero512@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Waterproofing _is_an important factor for sustainability for phones though. Water damage was THE cause of death of smartphones for a very long time until waterproofing became the standard for phones.

• SimplePhysics@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

How? Currently, waterproofing works by slathering every crack and crevice in a sea of glue. Glue and easily replaceable batteries don’t mix.

• ericswpark@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The S5 had waterproofing with a removable back using gaskets. (Granted, the design was fugly, but that wasn’t the fault of the waterproofing measures. Someone at Samsung loved bandaids) If the S5 could do it, I suppose other manufacturers could achieve the same thing with rubber gaskets. I mean, other waterproof gadgets like dive computers use gaskets on their port covers and what not, so I fail to see why it wouldn’t work with battery compartments.

• SimplePhysics@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Huh, that could work pretty well! Gaskets would need to be secured and sealed well though, and I fail to imagine what an iPhone or any other modern device would look like with a removable battery lol.

• acupofcoffee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This. My sister killed multiple phones per year until she went to phones with good waterproof ratings and subsequently were better sealed.

She hasn’t killed one since. That’s a lot less waste overall than before.

I’m not saying this is bad because of that, but I think it’s something people overlook.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My first iPhone was in my coat pocket at work. I picked up a bottle of beer that was juuuuust cracked enough that it would split around the middle from the slightest bump but not enough that the liquid would leak.

I stuck it under my arm to carry it and it split and spilled into my pocket. Not a lot made it in there but the phone never powered on again.