I know how awkward that title is and I apologize.

Core: 2023.12.3

Computer: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Explanation: I run a set of data collection scripts on my home network and one of the pieces of data is getting the computer model. In all my other SBCs, the below symlink gets that data.

Symlink: /proc/device-tree/model

File Location: /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

The symlink is broken and when I went to check the firmware directory, it is completely empty. The last update date for /sys/firmware according to ls -la is December 10 at 2:40 which when I checked my backups, is when core_2023.12.0 installed.

Attached is what should be in the firmware folder on my other Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5 right now.

I did a find from root for either the model file or anything vaguely resembling it and I can’t find it. Anyone else have this problem or is it just happening to me? Or am I missing something?

• whaleross@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Every time I read of issues like this, I so much wish ha devs could be bothered to complement the rolling release as it is today with a quarterly “stable” branch that gets all the bug fixes and patches but none of the monthly new features.

The stable branch could lag 3 months in features, it doesn’t matter with latest features when all you want is a recently patched and updated system that runs your house without going bzzpth.

• Seperis@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Since probably October, I’ve noticed some really really random problems show up that never used to. And for once, I know it wasn’t me messing with the code; I took a sabbatical from HA to learn how to use Proxmox a couple of months ago. and everything worked fine. It was actually a clean install to a new Raspberry Pi as my Odroid decided to stop working and I haven’t had time to learn to solder (hopefully this week, tho). I was kind of wondering if it was the Pi that was the problem.

• realitista@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I always submit this idea any time there’s a “Month of What The Heck”. Devs don’t care much for it. Honestly at this point I’d be happy to give up all new features and just stay on a stable branch.

• whaleross@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Yeah, it’s totally a fun feature driven project reliant on community efforts despite there is a commercial venture behind it nowadays. The core devs still treat it as their baby hobby project and nobody wants to do the boring job of maintaining a stable branch so it’s not going to happen.

Some while ago I saw another discussion on this topic that was shot down with the opposing arguments that all users have to do is stay up date with the latest version, while also saying that users are at fault for things breaking because they update when a notification tells them that there is a new latest version.

I think it’s arrogant and irresponsible and a ticking time bomb for a big time bug or zero day exploit and not how any serious project should be administered.

I wish I could have Linus Torvalds give his colorful opinion on this mindset on developing the operating system for peoples homes.

• brb@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I think you are more than welcome to make a Fork and do this. You can backport all fixes and not implement new features.

I think new features is one of the core reasons the projects gets more contributors, and it sorely needs those. I understand why the focus is now on that.

If you want stability, I’d suggest maybe finding some likely minded people and go and maintain a Long Term Stable version.

• whaleross@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Indeed I could, but this is the boring job you have the paid employees for rather than putting it on users to ensure a stable version of your product. .

• Seperis@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I know, I’m trying to write up a clear bug report on this, but I’m honestly not sure if it actually has any effect other than messing up my data collection scripts. Yeah, it’s annoying the hell out of me but I’ve been going through the documented issues with the core and it doesn’t look like anyone else noticed a problem. I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s created by an alpine package that I can run, but not much luck there.

Note: I enabled root for Home Assistant OS and the symlink and file are fine there.