• elscallr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

My NAS device has 80TB of usable space (6x16TB, raid5). Equivalent would’ve cost tens of thousands of dollars in drives alone.

Once 16TB SSDs are even available I will probably start migrating them in, but for now mechanical drives it is.

• Tja@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

A 4TB SATA SSD is 200 EUR. For 96 TB you would need 24 (probably less for 80TB usable). It would cost between 4k and 4.5k. Prices are going down fast.

• netburnr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

And a way to have that many drives connected at once, which means more cost.

• Tja@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Ok, like 100 bucks for 16-18 SATA controllers, assuming the mobo comes with 6.

• Tja@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I have seen nowhere near 250-300 for 20TB disks in Europe. Maybe in the US the SSDs will also be cheaper…

• JGrffn@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

I don’t understand why more people don’t do this, but if you go to pcpartpicker.com, go to start a build, go to storage, and sort by price per gb, you’ll get all the info you need. I’ve purchased Seagate Exos X20 20TB drives for under $350 us dollars this year. I buy off Amazon US and ship to my country, Honduras. I believe ebay has them at $319 or something.

For reference, that’s around $0.016 usd/gb with some smaller drives going for as low as $0.011 usd/gb (you can get a 6tb Seagate enterprise drive for $64 us dollars), whereas the cheapest SSD you can get is still going to cost you at least twice to three times as much, at $0.037 usd/gb for the cheapest SSD on pcpartpicker, which is still a 2TB SSD for $75 us dollars (crucial p3 plus), amazing value for an SSD but still has a hard time competing with HDDs.

• Tja@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

I don’t trust shipping internationally. More chance of damage, plus import duties, plus tax, plus difficulties for RMA or warranty.

The conclusion is similar tho: SSDs are only 2 times more expensive (not 7 as the article claims) and that makes it worth it for me given all the advantages the offer.

• WalrusDragonOnABike@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

If you’re able to get enterprise ssds, you could get 16tb ssds… But no clue what minimum order sizes are like for that kind of thing. But of you wanted to use 16tb ssds instead of buying a house 100% down payment, that’s an option probably.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

A 16TB, a single one, right now is $1800.

As I said, as they become available (read: affordable) then I’ll use them. Until that point… mechanical drives have worked well for 50 years and are fine for me. I can accept a margin of problem, it’s the reason I use RAID.

• elscallr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

And this isn’t an enterprise thing. It’s my home NAS. For business things I just use AWS like any sensible person.