• richard_wagner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Same, but I also use chrome a lot so I use chrome and apple.

I’m always curious what the benefit of using a 3rd party password manager is over these tools that work just fine.

• sunbather@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well the immediate disadvantage you are facing is that you have passwords stored in two places.

• richard_wagner@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Sure, but on iOS and MacOS Safari, at least, you can specify which store to choose your password from.

So there’s only one extra step to fill in a password.

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

The main benefit is being able to access passwords without using a web browser.

For example, say you need to tell someone your credit card over the phone. With Safari you need to go into Settings > Auto Fill > Edit > unlock, and finally you need to click on the card number to view it. That’s a horrible process.

With 1Password I can hit a global hotkey, you might use control-space for example, type ‘card’ and there it is. 1Password even has hotkeys to quickly copy the name/number/expiry/security code with a single key press (for each one).

Another big advantage is most password managers have OTP support. Safari and Chrome do not.

• satanmat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My wife uses it manually just opens it on her phone and types everything in.

That works for her. I don’t get it whatever