Until they close it down…

• nd_nb@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

It’s actually wild how little content they fit onto full desktop screen. Two comments, really? And if you’re not logged in, it opens only 2 or 3 comments, and then you have to click ‘see rest of thread’ or whatever to read more.

I’m sorry but this design is so bad that it has to be malicious. Are we meant to get an ad every two comments or something? They’re out of their minds.

• Gork@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

They don’t want you to read, they want you to scroll.

It’s like they don’t understand what Reddit fundamentally is: a forum. It isn’t Instagram or Facebook. But they really want it to be because you can fit a lot of ads in that format.

• Hexorg@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

That’s a very good point. Website design made space for ads. I was just browsing yahoo.com on the Wayback machine and it’s amazing how much content you could fit in a 800x600 screen. Now my 4k feels not enough.

• jherazob@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

It’s clear they want to transform the site into another FB/IG clone, every design decision they’ve taken in years points at it

• magnetosphere @beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

I used new reddit briefly, hated it (of course), and went back to old reddit. Much later, I tried to force myself to get used to new reddit, because I figured they’d shut down the old version eventually.

Couldn’t do it. New reddit is that terrible. Instead, I figured I’d just leave when new reddit became mandatory… and here I am!

• d3fc0n1@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 年前

Me too.

I think that even if they don’t close old reddit now, it will be on the horizon, so I might as well build a new home here. This message-board-look-a-like is jus what I was looking for and not wanting to sound elitist, I find it a good deterrent for the tik-tok crowd and other “follow the person not the subject” networks.

• dxcz@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

“follow the person not the subject” networks.

Was thinking reflecting yesterday, and this is exactly why I can’t get on board with Twitter, Tumblr, or even really Mastodon. Feels like I’m hunting for personalities rather than interests.

• dxcz@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 年前

That’s fair enough. Have seen the same behavior on tumblr and the like.

I’ve found myself wondering if folks aren’t slapping on innappropriate tags or none at all, losing out on content?

I suppose I also never gave this approach an honest shot. Thinking I’ll try this. Thanks!

• backseat@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 年前

The other extreme is people adding 20-odd tags to a post. If I could filter out posts with more than a given number of tags (5 or 6 would be about right), I would.