One mom said she cried for 10 days after hearing she was being removed from her daughter’s birth certificate.

• xuxebiko@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

right-wing political parties have '‘be sub-human trash’ written in their manifesto and yet people vote them into power.

From the article “Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, leader of the far-right Brothers of Italy party, made anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric a cornerstone of her campaign for office. She opposes allowing same-sex couples to adopt as well as marriage quality, calling civil union “good enough” for LGBTQ+ couples.”

• AlwaysNowNeverNotMe@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s not enough to carve out a portion of your sovereignty for the kid diddler cult to have a golden castle city guarded by foreign mercenaries, you also have to listen to their stances on parenthood, which they are, surely, experts, in.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s not enough to carve out a portion of your sovereignty for the kid diddler cult

Huh, TIL the Catholic Church had lost all its territory to Italy and then later was granted some back (by Mussolini, no less) instead of having continuous sovereignty stemming from the Papal States and predating a unified Italy itself.

That’s the second time in two days that I’ve been about to “ackchyually” somebody but ended up learning something myself instead. I’m getting more and more impressed with the quality of discussion here on Lemmy.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

and there are restrictions that prevent the adoption of “stepchildren” by one parent.

That one was judged unconstitutional in Germany as it bereaves the child of a perfectly suitable caregiver – that is it wasn’t a matter of gay rights for the court but children’s rights. In the end, before gay marriage was introduced, the only difference between marriages and civil unions was that gay couples could not adopt jointly, only one after the other, and generally speaking authorities are quite reluctant when it comes to singles adopting kids they aren’t related to by blood.

• yeepyorp@mtgzone.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

earlier, i wrote a comment saying not to use fascism to hate humanity; at the same time, the fact that fascists are also human is something we have to acknowledge so we can stop our loved ones from falling into it

• mayo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The thought that keeps me sane through this is believing that the pendulum swings both ways. We have to accept that there are people who like this, and I’m going to hate them for it, but opposition will always exist.

On the whole (a long time) things in society have improved and they’ll continue to improve over time. It might just be our lot to have a shit round.

Except for climate change. That’s existential.

• lingh0e@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Good. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

You don’t HAVE to be bigoted trash. It IS possible to learn empathy for your fellow man, to understand that a person’s sexuality does not make them more or less of a person. It IS possible to change your ways. It IS possible to make the changes within yourself… the changes that you need to make in order to prevent a sad future where your own children disown you for being a shitheel goon. It is possible to be, you know… a good person.

But I also get the feeling that you are too obsessed with the smell of your own farts to have any real understanding of how dumb you sound. Who cares if no one else wants to smell your wafting shit odor? You’re perfectly happy simmering in your own idiot stink.

It’s not too late. You don’t have to be on the wrong side of history.