And tell me how proud of it you are.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s relatively common in small towns. Some towns with volunteer fire departments will have a siren they use both to call all available volunteer firefighters and to announce the need to shelter for a tornado. They used to sound it at noon every day and my wife (then girlfriend) used it as an alarm clock when she worked 2nd shift anytime she slept in too late

About 5 years ago they stopped sounding it at noon, and honestly I’m not sure when the last time i heard the sirens was since tornadic storms are becomes much less common here and the firefighters have become increasingly reliant on their radios instead. I kinda miss it. There’s a quaintness to just listening for the noon whistle to tell time

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s very common even today for fire sirens to still be in use, as well as noon whistles. Unfortunately, people complain about the noise despite choosing to live near the fire department, and the sirens get shut off.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Canada. It’s not really a thing in the UK. Fire sirens/noon whistles are mostly a North American/European thing.