In a Christmas message to his followers Monday, former President Donald Trump said he hopes supporters of “Electric Car Lunacy” would “ROT IN HELL.”

Trump’s Monday afternoon Truth Social post continued a theme he had been developing with several other posts since Christmas Eve, attacking Justice Department Special Counsel Jack Smith, who is prosecuting two criminal cases against him.

The frontrunner of the 2024 presidential race for the Republican Party nomination added a missive against “THUGS,” which he said were more “evil” and “sick” than all world leaders. In the grammatically confusing post, Trump also appeared to attack Israel, which Trump lumped in with Iran, as well as both Russia and Ukraine.

• billwashere@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I never thought about this but you’re right, the always on tracking aspect would suck. The proprietary software not so much though. Every car in the last 20 years has this. Of course open source software connected to a cellular network would be less of an issue. So I see your point now after writing this 😋

• MiDaBa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The issue is the right to repair is being challenged in an almost unprecedented way. Propitiatory software allows the developer to cut off access to critical diagnostic abilities as well as lock basic features behind subscriptions etc. Do you really own your car? The future is being fought now.

• GNU Dude@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

To be honest, we’re dealing with corpos here, so a fully FOSS car is just a dream. But to be honest, if the software is not connected to any network in any way and doesn’t control stuff that could kill me in case of a bug or whatnot, AND I have the right to flash whatever I want on there and tinker with it (since it doesn’t control vital driving features, that should not be a problem), I can live with it. Only under these three conditions though.