• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I prefer not to depend on feelings. My feelings can sometimes be wrong… isolated data is not a prefered indicator, because it must be interpreted to be meaningful.

I’ve put several links in this string that should address your point.

• kava@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Feelings decide elections, not numbers. And a large majority of Americans do not have confidence in the economy.

These people, living day in and out under the system intuitively understand their position, even if they can’t spit out figures at you. They recognize their lives are harder than their grandparents. They recognize they are working for less year after year.

Many of us are privileged- I know I am. We make good money working from home, not having any issues paying our expenses and saving for the future.

But we cannot let that privilege blind us into believing misleading optimistic figures. We are on the edge of a precipice, both economically, financially, and militarily. If the left doesn’t do something soon, we will lose the next decade to fascism.

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I understand. The fact is, however, that the economy is doing well by all measurements. These are figures, not optimistic, just numbers. The US came out of the pandemic economic depression robustly. Also, the fact is that the top percentile has accumulated wealth at unprecedented rates. I suspect we are on the cusp of a generational shift when higher paid older workers retire to be replaced by younger workers. That can never happen fast enough for the younger.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

the top percentile has accumulated wealth at unprecedented rates.

YES, THAT’S THE FUCKING PROBLEM

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I understand. The fact is, however, that the economy is doing well by all measurements.

The only measurement that counts to any voter is the one on their own bank statement. Tell them the economy is doing great all you want. It may even be true. If they’re having to decide which utility bill to not pay this month, they’re unlikely to give your data greater weight than their datum.

• the post of tom joad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

And he responded. Are those the end of your argument? Because as other poster said, statistics can be used to lie just as well as inform. You are familiar with this, correct?

If you have the stomach for getting in to the nitty gritty, pick one of your metrics and ill explain patiently why theyre bullshit.