• dragontamer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Not even to the technologically superior one who has given us a lot of military support and is key to our foreign policy goals in the Middle East?

Let’s say we abandon Israel. Who the fuck do we ally with in the Middle East? The anti-women Saudis who literally created the Wahhabi Islam that empowered Bin Laden? Iraq or Afghanistan? Iran hates us too.

Our alliance with Israel is out of larger scale necessity and long term friendship. For all of the faults of them (and yes, this war in Gaza is exceptionally brutal, though not genocidal), Israel has military power, military intelligence, and technology that we are borrowing.

Intel / Mobileye / etc.etc. are from Israel. Some of the most important technologies of our society are from Israel.

When both suck, but one is a good friend and has tech that we want, being friends with the powerful and technologically advanced is just a winning strategy.

• NoIWontPickaName@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I agree.

The US just needs to get the fuck out of the Middle East.

All of our problems in the Middle East are because we keep interfering in the Middle East!

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Yeah, good luck with that supposition, lol.

Houthis are literally ruining the Red Sea right now. So the adults are actually trying to solve problems right now.

• WalrusDragonOnABike@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

You mean an organization that seems to primary exist as an opposition to those so-called “adults” meddling in the middle east? A lot of their other broad geopolitical strategies, like funding the Taliban, also has been a great success in the region. I’m sure they will do so much good for the region and won’t do more to empower terrorist groups like Hamas for their own personal gain.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

What’s your solution to the Houthis attacking ships right now?

Tick tock, another container ship was attacked by the Houthis even today. Look up the “MSC United VIII”. So please, engage me with your wisdom. Show me what will make peace and rainbows and butterflies and let trade continue unhampered in the Red Sea.

And until you give me an acceptable response, I’ll place my trust in the giant guns we’ve got patrolling the seas, shooting down the Houthi’s missiles, drones, and helicopters.

• NoIWontPickaName@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Do you hear yourself right now?

Let’s just let them play Wyatt Earp’s, wild revenge ride, because they have stuff we want.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

More like the Gazan citizens and current leadership Hamas are literally calling for the genocide of Israel so I’m not so concerned about this level of violence that Israel is responding with.

But also the military alliance, technology, and intelligence they offer is unrivaled for the region.

So there’s lots of reasons to ally with Israel

What is it about Gaza that has you fascinated so much to rush to their defense?

• Snoozemumrik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

And Israel is currently engaged in a genocide against the Palestinian people, as evidenced by what is happening and Israeli officials saying that’s their goal (Netanyahu, Gvir, Smotrich). So you’re more worried about an alleged want for genocide than the actual genocide currently happening.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Please, give me the quote from the Israelis that proves that they’re aiming for a genocide.

As far as I’ve seen, they’ve only stated to “take over the security of Gaza”, which I’ve interpreted as simply conquest. The destruction of Hamas is certainly not considered a genocide any more than say, the destruction of the Nazis were as a political party (and was a wargoal of WW2).