I use Windows btw

• Rassilon@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This. I still daily drive arch, and, even though I’ve rarely had any breaking updates, it’s always feels like a gamble. Have to keep a mental note of which critical packages are being updated, just in case I have to rollback the package. Always carrying an install medium with an arch iso when taking my laptop out.

• vkirlin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Always carrying an install medium with an arch iso when taking my laptop out.

Same. Have to say Ventoy is an amazing tool, my emergency USB stick has 4 distros and Windows, just in case. There is also some Android app that let’s you turn your phone into bootable medium

• GizmoLion@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I abandoned ubuntu for that very same experience, found your Ubuntu zen on manjaro instead. Funny how it goes sometimes.

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve only used Manjaro a little bit but isn’t it the case the Manjaro holds back updates before rolling them out, thereby messing with stuff if you use the AUR?

• GizmoLion@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

My take is they’re a little more cautious than full Arch. Arch will just push stuff because it’s “ready”, Manjaro does at least some testing so I’m not the guinea pig.

I don’t have any issues with AUR stuff though, everything pretty much works out of the box.

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

This is the Arch way, I feel. Timeshift though, if I’m not mistaken, is a system restore tool, which seems pretty useful though I’ve never used it myself.

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I toy around with Arch a little bit but sometimes these are the kinds of things that you really don’t want to think about. But the tradeoff is latest packages, of course.